Short vs bad breaker?

Twolabs

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 13, 2014
NE Texas
I have two Tristar Hayward pumps, both dedicated to our waterfall. To prevent unnecessary running through the winter on freeze protect, last Fall I blew out the pipes and drained the pumps. At some point, I think it was when I was trying to find out which breakers controlled the pumps, I remember kicking them on and hearing a loud pop (and a flash of light out of the corner of my eye). It was late at night, and I remember thinking perhaps it was a capacitor that went bad and I'll mess with it later. Well I procrastinated of course until now, when we're ready to swim again.

I replaced the capacitor, and the breaker trips immediately after resetting it. I thought this might mean a bad pump, so I called a pool service company and they said it's most likely a bad GFCI breaker and to call an electrician. Before I just throw $ at an electrician, how likely is it that the breaker is bad? The pool is only 5 years old. Sure seems like a short to me?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.