Shop Vac wont blow bubbles out of main drain...where to buy a good blower for pool use.

StephenRMcKay

Aug 21, 2021
Bluff City TN
Hey guys, I'm closing my pool myself for the first time. Mainly because I dont want to give my pool store any more money. $200 to close, I'd rather learn myself and not have to fool with them.

When they closed it last year, I took detailed notes and pictures to ensure I could repeat it this year. I made a cover to fit my pool pump and accommodate my shop vac hose. I closed my filter, then blew out my skimmers one at a time. I tried to do the drain, but was unsuccessful in getting any bubbles to come up. Then, I blew out my return lines. Switched the filter to recirculate, and burped the return lines one at a time to ensure no water was left at all. I plugged one at a time as I went, letting all the water finally escape to the last return and plugged.
I then blew out my polaris. Then turned the filter on rinse and blew out the filter and drain line. I removed all pump plugs/Polaris plug and blew those out.

I have yet to add antifreeze to the skimmers/return lines and I've yet to remove the pressure gauge because I need to get bubbles to come out of the main drain and air lock it. I have a feeling I'll be installing all those plugs again, and doing a repeat.

My question/request is where can I get an air pump that will have enough pressure to blow bubbles out of the main drain?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211024-164138_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211024-164138_Gallery.jpg
    403.1 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20211024-164140_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211024-164140_Gallery.jpg
    324.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20211024-164246_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211024-164246_Gallery.jpg
    334.5 KB · Views: 16
Hey guys, I'm closing my pool myself for the first time. Mainly because I dont want to give my pool store any more money. $200 to close, I'd rather learn myself and not have to fool with them.

When they closed it last year, I took detailed notes and pictures to ensure I could repeat it this year. I made a cover to fit my pool pump and accommodate my shop vac hose. I closed my filter, then blew out my skimmers one at a time. I tried to do the drain, but was unsuccessful in getting any bubbles to come up. Then, I blew out my return lines. Switched the filter to recirculate, and burped the return lines one at a time to ensure no water was left at all. I plugged one at a time as I went, letting all the water finally escape to the last return and plugged.
I then blew out my polaris. Then turned the filter on rinse and blew out the filter and drain line. I removed all pump plugs/Polaris plug and blew those out.

I have yet to add antifreeze to the skimmers/return lines and I've yet to remove the pressure gauge because I need to get bubbles to come out of the main drain and air lock it. I have a feeling I'll be installing all those plugs again, and doing a repeat.

My question/request is where can I get an air pump that will have enough pressure to blow bubbles out of the main drain?

Thanks in advance!
An air compressor can do it but keep the pressure really low. I didn’t like that so I just got a cyclone blower since it works better and is portable.

Reactions: StephenRMcKay
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.