Shocking without running the pump

Sal512

May 17, 2015
Austin, TX
My pool was very green. And I did not have the time to turn it into blue, hence hired a pool company. Agreed to an estimate of $275 to turn-around the pool and $95 for DE filter clean. The guy showed up when nobody was home, went ahead and dropped 15 pounds of shock in the pool and cleaned the filter. At that time he discovered that the manifold on the filter had cracked. He sent me a text about it. He left my premises leaving the filter open with the grids lying outside. I asked him for an estimate to replace the manifold, he got back to me after 3 days with an estimate of $178 part and labor for it. I agreed to it. Another 3 days have passed and he has not returned with a new manifold . Now the pool has turned green again since the pump was not run for 6 days. On contacting him again, he says he doesnot have an opening to install the manifold until 2 weeks . And he wants to get paid the $275 and $95 before he can come back. I paid the $95 for DE filter cleaning. But I am thinking of holding back the $275. Because he botched the pool turnaround by shocking it without running the pump. Sorry for the long story. Heres my question 1) Am I right in not paying him the $275? 2) He has emailed me the invoice, what can he do if I dont pay?

What a rip off! That is such a scam. If anything, I suspect you are liable for the agreed-upon work performed initially and that is all. Don't order anything else, dont' agree to anymore work in the future, and certainly don't pay him for any work not yet performed. In fact, if he states otherwise, that's a good time to get all his credientals and report him to the BBB, Angie's List, or any other entities who monitor local contractor performance. Who knows, perhaps HE broke that manifld taking it apart? It's not like we have major hard-freezes in our area that would've caused that.

Getting back to your water, without a way to move water, there's not much you can do for the algae. If you wish, you can add some regular bleach (no splashless or scented) and brush it around really well. That should be okay and may help to slow the increase of more algae. For your size pool, about 1/2 to one gallon per day for now. We have tutorials on how to tear apart DE filters, so let us know if you want to see them. If you're not comfortable with the task, I would contact a different vendor in your area or even go to a local pool store who should have some local references. Shame you are having such difficulties. Good luck!

Thanks for your response Texas Splash.
DIY is best way to avoid these incompetent scam sters. Unfortunately not everybody has the time for managing pool on thier own.

I just like to hear from others here if a pool turnaround (aka shock SLAM) can even be done without running the pump. I am still trying to accept the fact that this ‘certified pool operator’ that I hired did a pool turnaround without circulating the water and is demanding payment.

Did he complete the agreed upon service? Did the pool ever go from green to completely blue and pristine. Did the filter ever get cleaned and functional again? There should be zero labor for installing the new manifold as he needed to remove the original one to properly clean the filter. No idea what the replacement cost of the manifold is. Sounds like he hasn't lived up to his end of the deal. Normally full payment would be due at work completion unless you both agreed otherwise.

Chances of clearing up the pool without a functioning filter and being able to run the pump are pretty slim.

Did he complete the agreed upon service? Did the pool ever go from green to completely blue and pristine. Did the filter ever get cleaned and functional again? There should be zero labor for installing the new manifold as he needed to remove the original one to properly clean the filter. No idea what the replacement cost of the manifold is. Sounds like he hasn't lived up to his end of the deal. Normally full payment would be due at work completion unless you both agreed otherwise.

Chances of clearing up the pool without a functioning filter and being able to run the pump are pretty slim.
He dropped 15 pounds of shock on a Wednesday and then came back 5 days later and dropped another 5 pounds and brushed. The pool turned from dark green to aquamarine, still very cloudy. it stayed aquamarine only for half a day, next day it went to a light green. His written estimate was $95 for DE filter clean. $275 for pool shock and brush, $178 for the manifold replace. All 3 estimates included labor at the rate of 95 per hour. His replacement cost for manifold is $120. He did clean the DE filter, but did not close it. He did not replace manifold. He did shock and brush on two separate days. I have paid $95 for filter clean so far. He is asking me to pay the $275 since he claims that pool shock tasks are complete. He says he cannot do the manifold replacement, since he is booked for 2 weeks, he suggests that I get it done by somebody else.

Nice scam he has going there. Up to you whether you pay him or not. It's beyond the scope of this forum to offer legal advice. Whatever course of action you choose with him - you still need to replace the manifold and get the system functional again. After that, you will need to clear the green pool water and get it swimable again.

I see you have a TF-100 listed in your signature. If you can find the time, we can help you with getting the filter operational again and in completing a SLAM Process.

Nice scam he has going there. Up to you whether you pay him or not. It's beyond the scope of this forum to offer legal advice. Whatever course of action you choose with him - you still need to replace the manifold and get the system functional again. After that, you will need to clear the green pool water and get it swimable again.

I see you have a TF-100 listed in your signature. If you can find the time, we can help you with getting the filter operational again and in completing a SLAM Process.
I understand that you cannot give me legal advice. I am thinking of not paying him the $275. Because he did not follow the proper procedure to turn around a pool. He shocked it with out circulating the water, he should have cleaned and installed the new manifold in the filter before starting the shock process. He wasted the shock and the pool is not blue. I have to pay for more shock and a new pool company to make the pool blue and retain the blue/clear for many days, not just one day.

I have the same Pentair filter, the manifolds seem to have a known cracking problem. you can purchase a aftermarket manifold on amazon for around $75. It has good reviews. Tell him to stick the manifold he got where the sun don't shine and see him in small claims court for the unfinished job. Isn't it legal in Texas to slap someone silly? you could try that.

Sorry you are having so much trouble. At most you owe him for about an hours worth of work. Tear the filter apart and 2 brushings.
He didn't complete any other tasks and therefore you don't owe him. He didn't clear the pool. You could argue that the DE grids were broke by him during cleaning and he owes you a working filter that he left in pieces. Part cost is on him. If it was me, I'd tell him that if he wanted to see any money then he has to fit you into his schedule in the next 2 days to get the filter repaired and assembled. You didn't have a broke and in pieces filter when he showed up. That is unacceptable customer service. At least previously, you could have used a dirty filter. Then you could pay him the "filter clean" charge. Once the filter is in working order, send him away. You don't want him cleaning the pool. I'd refuse to pay any "clean the pool" charges unless you feel you want to pay him for the 2 brushings he did. But in reality, any brushing was negated by the lack of being able to run the pump.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.