Shock, Is It Necessary

FNG

May 26, 2022
South
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
New pool owner here. Overall my experience with the pool store has been really good. But I also am not naive and understand that they are a business and they profit from selling products. Twice they've even discouraged me from buying something I was going to buy so overall, I'd say I at least have some respect for them from my recent experiences.

With that being said, they recommend an 'easy shock' every 1-2 weeks. It's a small 1 pound bag and I think they told me 1-3 bags needed for my size pool. Is this really necessary? I check my water at least once a week and my chemicals are near perfect. Water is crystal clear and we've (family of 5) been swimming since April (water has been in it since March). Because my water has been clear and chemicals perfect, I only used a 1 pound bag of the shock every 1-2 weeks but I am completely out now. I used my last bag about 10 days ago.

So should I buy more shock or just leave the water as it? I appreciate the expertise here. And of course I don't want to be PoolStore'd.

Shock is just (most likely) just chlorine. They're advising the way the industry does - throw tabs in the floater, "shock" the pool every week or two to keep algae at bay. Its' very different from how this website says pool care should be done. It starts with knowing exactly what chemical levels are in your pool using your own reliable testing, and ends with only putting in the pool what it really needs to be safe and sanitary.

ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

So - our answer will likely be very different from advise you'd get elsewhere, because we don't manage our pools like people do elsewhere. :)

Reactions: KJB1 and FNG
full

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.