Sharing a lesson (and venting a bit)

ITR

Gold Supporter
Nov 8, 2014
Clermont, FL
So the last few weeks I have been fighting what I thought was an algae breakout. Come to find out it's not, but instead it's the construction site a few blocks away kicking up so much dirt it's making my pool gross. They are currently licensed to clear 948,000 tons of dirt (well, sand here in Florida) and it's gotten everything horribly covered with dirt. I have 5ppm FC and .5 CC so I'm pretty sure it's not anything but dirt. I also realized this weekend that it's only on the bottom and not the walls...so it must be settling down on the floor. Finally got some rain today, so hopefully that will cut it down a bit.

Anyways...I ran out of reagents for the daily tests, so I made a trip to a few pool stores. Yes, a few.

Lesson #1 - Always check the expiration dates on reagents you are buying. My first stop was Leslie's and both R-0014 and R-0600 were all expired on 3/2017. There was a comment of "I didn't realize they were that close." While I thought, "Close? That stuff is over a year expired!" I filtered the comment...thanked them and walked away.
Lesson #2 - Apparently R-0014 and R-0600 aren't as easy to find as I thought. Went down the road further to Crystal Clear Pools. The person there was GREAT, but they didn't have either reagent and I really didn't feel like picking up a whole new kit since I have lived by the K-1000 for years. They have always been good to me and installed my SWG, so I picked up some HCL since I needed some and decided to go to the next place (luckily there are four pool stores within about five miles).
Lesson #3 - Customer service DOES still exist and it makes a complete difference in the whole PS experience. Stopped by Pinch-A-Penny, which ironically is the closest store to since Crystal Clear Pools moved up the road. They didn't have either re-agent, but they did have R-0013 which I was honestly amazed by. Shared my problem with Chip, the owner, and he immediately went to the computer. Said he could get R-0014 in by Monday and did a special order for me. The guy was SUPER pleasant and went above and beyond in my mind. Unfortunately has wasn't able to get int eh R-0600 in, but I can use what I have for the weekly test until I get it ordered online.

So I know we rant a lot on pool stores and honestly my first experience was "typical", but the experience I had with stop #3 made me feel great...and valued...and all because of a special order of a $3.45 bottle of reagent. Have a great weekend everyone...and don't forget to check the expiration date on your reagents and new ones you buy!

ITR

I have alsways found that there are a few great pool stores out there. It's just just hit or miss finding them.

Now, I'm a big proponent of shopping with local stores whenever possible but if you have to go on-line skip Amazon this time and go to TFTestkits.net They manufacture the TF-100 test kit and when we run out of money on the website they pay the bills.....

Just a note that 5 PPM FC may not be enough. It depends on your CYA level. According to the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA].

I also am concerned that you may only be using a k1000 which is lacking many of the needed tests, especially the FAS-DPD chlorine test.

I would suggest you use the K-1001 not the K-1000. The 1001 uses DPD as the chlorine indicator and it is more accurate than the yellow OTO drops. The pH reagent is the same. You could also splurge for a K-1004 kit which gives you DPD (FC & CC), pH, acid demand and TA testing.

As for dirt and dust - if your city or municipality has dust code regulations than construction sites would be required by code to mitigate dust by spraying water down. Here in Tucson we have very strict dust regulations because airborne dust can carry valley fever pathogens (a systemic fungal infection) which can make humans very sick and can kill dogs or, worse, make them chronically ill for the rest of their lives. Construction sites are required by code to bring in water trucks to spray down any work site where large amounts of earth will be disturbed. A quick phone call to your local building dept could clear up the matter.

Just a note that 5 PPM FC may not be enough. It depends on your CYA level. According to the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA].

I also am concerned that you may only be using a k1000 which is lacking many of the needed tests, especially the FAS-DPD chlorine test.

I'm aware, and thank you. I should have mentioned, I have the TF-100 that I used for the weekly tests which does include the FAS-DPD. That's how I know CC is .5ppm. I just use the K-1000 for the daily (quickie) checks. And yes, 5ppm is not enough. I generally run higher in the summer. It just recently warmed up so I bumped the SWG back up to "summer" levels. Still, with .5 CC I highly doubt it's algae. (I know, post my complete results...which I can't until I get my reagent.) Plus I'm adding CYA...even enough I'm in FL and don't close the pool...consider this my "start up time". :)

I would suggest you use the K-1001 not the K-1000. The 1001 uses DPD as the chlorine indicator and it is more accurate than the yellow OTO drops. The pH reagent is the same. You could also splurge for a K-1004 kit which gives you DPD (FC & CC), pH, acid demand and TA testing.

As for dirt and dust - if your city or municipality has dust code regulations than construction sites would be required by code to mitigate dust by spraying water down. Here in Tucson we have very strict dust regulations because airborne dust can carry valley fever pathogens (a systemic fungal infection) which can make humans very sick and can kill dogs or, worse, make them chronically ill for the rest of their lives. Construction sites are required by code to bring in water trucks to spray down any work site where large amounts of earth will be disturbed. A quick phone call to your local building dept could clear up the matter.

It's been a bit of a fight with the county. The divisions in this area have banded together and went to them. It's more than just dirt. Literally tons of 20ton dump trucks taking up all three lanes on the way to/from work. Stop lights where they can't ramp up quickly...cutting people off, etc. They sent the FHP out which I'm sure was great for their revenue generation...and has slightly helped the "on road" issues, but nothing has been done with the site itself and air quality. Frustrating...so thank you for giving me a few things to google to help make our case more.

Lesson #1 - Always check the expiration dates on reagents you are buying. My first stop was Leslie's and both R-0014 and R-0600 were all expired on 3/2017. There was a comment of "I didn't realize they were that close."
ITR

Wow! Yesterday, Leslie's only had 3 little bottles of Taylor R0003 I needed.
Clerk that is always there is very friendly but tells fibs as I've learned over the years...
CLERK: "It's all new stock"
Of the 3 bottles, 2 expire 7/18 & the 3rd was 10/18. Clerk apologized & said he thought it was all fresh.
Funny, because I went there last week when still using oto & those also expire this summer! Crazy for a pool store imo.

Because I'm new to TFP, I asked where liquid chlorine is as didn't see it. Turns out they keep it "in the back". It comes in 2-gal boxes & you can't see the jugs inside so I asked about exp date & was told "there is not exp date on liq chlorine" but that these "just came in, so they are fresh"
I bit my tongue & bought a box. Haven't opened them yet, but about to slam pool so will check jugs soon.
Not as bad as your experience, but just more proof that Leslie's doesn't stock fresh reagents...
The liq chlorine better be fresh at over $12 for 2 gallons! (isn't that high for 12.5% chlorine?)
(I later stocked up on local grocery store brand (8.2%) on sale for $2.50/gal (down from $2.90) Store: ShopRite

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
YES! Seems outrageous! I'm totally new to liquid chlorine & now reading all the posts about prices! OMG I was robbed! Another return to Leslies as just read that Costco sells 3 gals for much less!

Nope. Most Costco’s stock Clorox with Cloromax Technology. The Cloromax bleach has a polymer additive that will ruin your pool water. Many store brand bleaches are starting to use this technology now too. I saw this in Target yesterday -

849144D6-B41E-47DD-9D44-5CCA738CC8A3.jpg

Anything that say “Fabric Protection” on it is likely the Cloromax Technology. Stay away from it.

Nope. Most Costco’s stock Clorox with Cloromax Technology. The Cloromax bleach has a polymer additive that will ruin your pool water. Many store brand bleaches are starting to use this technology now too. I saw this in Target yesterday

Thanks for your post, Matt. Just opened the pool this morning from a long winter (pool is clear, yay!, other than worms, eww!), and was going to try Costco but will go with the bleach, called "pool shock", at our local Ollie's (an outlet store). I've bought from them the last few years and never had a problem with it being fresh, and goes for $2.99/gal for 10%.

Thanks for your post, Matt. Just opened the pool this morning from a long winter (pool is clear, yay!, other than worms, eww!), and was going to try Costco but will go with the bleach, called "pool shock", at our local Ollie's (an outlet store). I've bought from them the last few years and never had a problem with it being fresh, and goes for $2.99/gal for 10%.

Yes, that is a better way to go. $2.99 for 10% is a good price. I can get refillable jugs of 10% (have to by 4 at a time) and I believe it’s a bit more than $3 per gallon.

:rant:

Matt, Wally World has the 10% at 3.10 a gallon per 2 pack. So 6.20 a case.

I have a local mom & pop store in here in Tucson I like to use. They sell both muriatic acid and 10% LC in refillable one gallon jugs. You buy four at a time with a one-time $6 refundable charge for the plastic safety carrier. I get MA for $4.75/gal and I think the LC was about $3.10/gal last time I check (I have an SWG so I really don’t buy LC often).

I have a local mom & pop store in here in Tucson I like to use. They sell both muriatic acid and 10% LC in refillable one gallon jugs. You buy four at a time with a one-time $6 refundable charge for the plastic safety carrier. I get MA for $4.75/gal and I think the LC was about $3.10/gal last time I check (I have an SWG so I really don’t buy LC often).

While that's not horrible, it's not great either. Regular price at my local big box hardware store (Menards) is $3.99/gallon for both Muriatic Acid and 12.5% Liquid Chlorine. But the latter was on BOGO this past week so it was actually $2/gallon. No bottle deposit or refilling required for either.

That said, I'm all in favor of supporting local businesses. So paying a trifle more isn't the end of the world.

While that's not horrible, it's not great either. Regular price at my local big box hardware store (Menards) is $3.99/gallon for both Muriatic Acid and 12.5% Liquid Chlorine. But the latter was on BOGO this past week so it was actually $2/gallon. No bottle deposit or refilling required for either.

That said, I'm all in favor of supporting local businesses. So paying a trifle more isn't the end of the world.

I do it because -

1. It’s the cheapest local price for MA;
2. It’s refillables so no empty jugs taking up space in my trash;
3. As you say, shopping & supporting local businesses is important;
4. They stock fresh Taylor reagents for every test in the kit in both 0.75 & 2oz reagent bottles;

AND (the most important reason)

5. They are an authorized Big Green Egg smoker dealer so they have everything Egg in the shop! :chef:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.