Shaft Seal Replaced on Pentair Challenger. Still dripping.

Thinkly

Oct 12, 2009
Overland Park, KS
I replaced the shaft seal on my Pentair Challenger yesterday. There was a substantial leak between the seal plate and the motor. I checked it this morning and I still have a slow drip. I have done this procedure before and it seems like I always have to try a couple different seals before I ever get it to not leak at all.

I also followed all of the recommended advice such as not touching the ceramic portion of the seal plate etc. as well as confirmed it is installed in the correct orientation. I cleaned the shaft and the seat in the seal plate with alcohol prior to install. With that said, I am somewhat surprised that I still have the drip. One thing I didn't do was replace the diffuser O-ring because the one that came in the kit was round and I have a square o-ring. Where would the leak be if I have a bad diffuser o-ring?

The seal plate should also have a gasket/o-ring. Did you replace that as well?

The other possibility is a small crack in the housing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.