Setting up INTEX pool for 2nd year

cjohns84ut

In The Industry
Jul 14, 2020
Ashburn, VA
Hello,

I am new to the pool world. I had a guy to dig up my yard last summer and put up the INTEX XTR 18x52 pool. It was about a 1/2 inch not level. I ended up taking the pool down because I accidentally poked a hole in the liner while working on retaining wall. I also noticed by the end of the year that 2 of the upright supports had kicked out on the 12x12 pavers I used. I am need some advice on how to best level this pool. I am going to put the pavers back down here in a few days and get it level in the sand and not on top of the sand. Any recommendations on how to get this setup the best would be useful. I thought about renting a laser level but not sure yet. Thanks

Hello,

I am new to the pool world. I had a guy to dig up my yard last summer and put up the INTEX XTR 18x52 pool. It was about a 1/2 inch not level. I ended up taking the pool down because I accidentally poked a hole in the liner while working on retaining wall. I also noticed by the end of the year that 2 of the upright supports had kicked out on the 12x12 pavers I used. I am need some advice on how to best level this pool. I am going to put the pavers back down here in a few days and get it level in the sand and not on top of the sand. Any recommendations on how to get this setup the best would be useful. I thought about renting a laser level but not sure yet. Thanks
I am new to all this and just finished my complete set-up yesterday but since no one else has answered I’ll pass on the advice that was given to me... Make yourself a cheap water level. Getting those pavers level is a pain and the water level saved me many tears. Look it up on YouTube, there are tons of videos on how to use them. I am horrible at these kinds of projects usually but my pool came out within a 1/4 of an inch. I also used a long mason(?) level and a short level with a magnetic back (double duty as I used this to keep my legs straight while filling). Good luck!

Yep, a water level will work. Honestly, that 1/2” out of level was pretty good.

I got most of the sand leveled out and leveled the pavers. The problem i am running into is how to compact the sand. Should i lightly wet the sand and use a 2x4 to smooth it out more? Or just put the pad and liner up and start filling with water?

I got most of the sand leveled out and leveled the pavers. The problem i am running into is how to compact the sand. Should i lightly wet the sand and use a 2x4 to smooth it out more? Or just put the pad and liner up and start filling with water?
How much sand (thickness) are we talking about? If it is thin layer on top of solid ground and pavers are level in solid ground, then it is fine to get the pad and liner down and start filling. You can wet it if you want to see if you have any dents.

That’s a lot, didn’t need that much. Where is the top of your pavers... level with surface of sand, or level with solid ground?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The issue is that unlike a permanent AGP, there’s nothing to corral the sand base and prevent it from shifting and washing out. Your pavers are on solid ground and level, so that is good, but if the sand washes out or shifts then you might have sharp paver edge butting up against your liner, which could damage liner. That’s why I always advise sinking the pavers level with the sold ground surface.

You might be ok since you are also using a pad. Just do check as you are filling to be sure your surface is holding up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.