semi in-ground vinyl leak

Jun 30, 2015
Patchogue NY
I noticed the pool cover was low in the winterized pool and ripped. It didn't take long to see that the water level had dropped to about 4". Its a vinyl liner semi-inground pool. I spent a few hours removing the pool cover (8 years old) and ice and leaves from the remaining water in the bottom of the pool. I could not see any obvious tear or hole in the liner.

The pool water is mucky from leaves that are now in the pool because of the wrecked pool cover. The vinyl liner is original - 8 years old. I intend to use a large glass jar to carefully inspect the bottom of the pool for any damage.

I would appreciate any tips or feedback on locating the leak in the liner and patching the leak versus buying a new liner and having it installed. Has anyone tried a leak detector dye in water that was not absolutely clear? What about anyone using "fix-a-leak" goop on a vinyl liner? I am in Long Island New York, and while the weather is nice for tomorrow, it is February and the temperature will drop back down to freezing in a few days.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations or suggestions.

If it has stabilized, the leak may be right at the waterline and you don't have to go further.

That would have been nice, duraleigh!

Bad news: The level actually was still going down. I lost an inch in a day.

Good news: It took a long time, but I found the tear. I used a decorative flat-bottom glass jar, about a foot in diameter, about 10" tall. Like a glass-bottom boat, I was able to see through the mucky water to the bottom of the pool.

The tear was about 3/4" not on any seam. I got a piece of liner from the pool company that sold me the pool and vinyl glue. Think good thoughts and hope it holds!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.