Semi In ground Pool

Jun 27, 2017
IL
We are looking to have an above ground pool sunk about 2.5feet. Anyone have a good brand they would use? Has anyone sunk a Saltwater 8000? We are looking at this one because its $4000 cheaper than intrepid but not sure I'm ready to commit yet. Any advice?

I am not sure about sinking the pool - ours isn't (although it is rated to be) but many on the board have sunk them with success (do a search and you should find some). Unless the pool is rated for burial it may void the warranty on it.

Regarding the cove and wall padding - we don't have either for our pool. When ours was being installed (professionals did it, not us) they built up a bit of a sand cove around the edge. It seems to be fine. If you need it or not might depend on the base you are using for your pool (sand or other). I think the wall foam is a personal preference thing. If I was going to spend some extra money I'd put it into upgrading the liner thickness.

I'm sure others will chime in about wall padding and coving, but those are my thoughts!

First, are you doing the build yourself or have you already secured a contractor? I wanted to sink my pool on one side and could not find anyone to do it. They just would not touch it even with voiding their warranty. Someone else on here had the same issue and I believe ended up having to do the build themselves. I have the saltwater 8000 and you can partially sink it. I love our pool, very impressed with it.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry didn't answer your other questions. The wall/cove foam is a personal preference. Some people believe the wall foam will make your liner more susceptible to tears because you now have something soft behind it vs. the hard wall giving flex. The cove foam benefits are having a uniform cove and eliminating the risk of cove washout. If water were to get under the pool you could have the sand washout but I doubt this is a very likely scenario. Most people have sand coves and they do just fine.

I don't have much advice or info to give as we are total newbies but I'll tell you what we did and are hoping it works out for us!

We got an old Doughboy (28' round) off of Craigslist and we have partially sunk that. We did it ourselves. We did a sand cove. It's full now (as of yesterday) and so far, so good. Obviously way too soon to tell if everything we did was correct but it is level at least and we are excited to get everything up and running! Good luck!

When we were researching, we were advised against a partial sunk above ground pool. By both the installers we called (they stated that they get a lot of business from issues with them) and the retailers told us unless the pool was rated for it, it voids the warranty. They didn't recommend it either.

As for wall and cove foam, we did both. We called 3 different installers and the ones who were in business the longest, with the most experience were the ones we went with. They recommended we do it. The cove would prevent washout in case of any leaks or other issues. But the wall foam actually protects and extends the life of the liner. We went with the thickest liner as well, but making sure we get the longest life out of it was worth the extra cost up front. He also explained other benefits too. Something about condensation and ice in the winter that I didn't understand. We got both and the spray adhesive direct from Gladon.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.