Second pump?

Hi All,
I recently added solar water heating panels to our above ground system. The pool is set up in such a way that the vertical distance between the pump/filter and the panels is nearly 11 feet.

Without the panels in the circuit, water flows from the return at a strong rate. With the panels, the flow is pretty anemic. Interestingly, the pressure at the filter doesn’t change much — from 8 to about 14 psi...

Pump is Hayward 1.5 hp, filter is an old PacFab SuperFlow sand filter outfitted with glass.

Can I/should I consider a second pump? If so, any guidance will help...

Thanks,
David

David,

That is almost 2 times the pressure adding in the panels so to get the same amount of water flow you would need 2 times the pump you have now and that will increase your pressure almost 2 times what you have now, so about 26 psi...

Systems work better with lower pressure so really you want the best flow to pull the heat out of your panels in the most efficient way and you want the lowest pressure you can have in your system... Your best bet would be to get a new VSF pump that has the variable flow in it... Then you can set it at a certain flow for your panels to get the heat out at the lowest flow..

This should be your main pump, no need for 2..

Hi Cowboy,
Thanks for the reply! If I get the VSF, is there a certain HP rating or other specs I should look for -- or is that the very nature of the variable speed pump? And (sorry to be so clueless about this) do those pumps "sense" the increased pressure and respond, or is it a manual adjustment?

Thanks,
David

David,

That is a 3 hp pump and motor.. As far as I know (I do not have this pump) you will set the flow and it will keep that flow... So if you have a flow of 23 gpm and then turn on the solar it should stay at 23 gpm if it can with the power it has... how it goes about it I am not sure... :)

All add to your flow requirements. There are some experts here that can help specifically with solar panels. Look at how many panels you have and what the optimal flow is per panel. For example I have 6 panels and I think the are rated for 5-7 gallons per minute per panel. I have my pump set to 35 gallons per minute with the panels running and 30 GPM when they are not. Something to thing about. More panels = more flow or work from the pump. Too much flow or too little will limit the efficiency of the panels. I'm sure other things may come into play such as pipe size. That I can't help with. Just wanted to state you want to adjust your flow for how many panels you have and what they call for.

Hi Cowboy,
Thanks for the reply! If I get the VSF, is there a certain HP rating or other specs I should look for -- or is that the very nature of the variable speed pump? And (sorry to be so clueless about this) do those pumps "sense" the increased pressure and respond, or is it a manual adjustment?

Thanks,
David

David,

You may have another option :)

Go here and see, this will depend on if your pump has a 2.5 or 3 hp version as some Hayward only have 1.5 hp....

If your pump does have a 3hp version

Go to a 2.7 hp V Green VS motor, same motor I have just the smaller one.. Everyone loves these motors and they work great...

you will need to get the 3hp impeller and any other parts to make it a 3hp version...

This will save some coin...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.