Seasoned pool owner, still learning new tricks

eberg

Jul 31, 2017
Maineville
I have a 22,000 saltwater lagoon, surrounded by big beautiful (deciduous) trees, with a water feature and a heat pump. The pool violates lots of traditional myths: You will have to cut down all of your trees (I did not); you have to put the pool on the flat part of your lot (I did not); you can't build a pool on fill (I did); if you put you pump on a timer it will fail sooner (Possibly, but replacing a pump motor is a lot cheaper than running the pump 24 hours, I've got 6 years on this pump, last two on a timer, so I like my choice).

My pool is generally maintenance free (just add salt), the only times I ever have trouble is if my chemicals get way out of balance, being on a wooded lot, I do have periodic algae issues, mostly mustard algae. I'ts usually sufficient to treat the algae when I open the pool, but this year I had an unusual event and learned that the warning that came with my Penetair Intellichlor about Nitrates and Phosphates is true: They can deplete all of the free chlorine in you pool (see separate post on Initellichlor and Phosphates).

My pool is generally maintenance free (just add salt), the only times I ever have trouble is if my chemicals get way out of balance, being on a wooded lot, I do have periodic algae issues, mostly mustard algae. I'ts usually sufficient to treat the algae when I open the pool, but this year I had an unusual event and learned that the warning that came with my Penetair Intellichlor about Nitrates and Phosphates is true: They can deplete all of the free chlorine in you pool (see separate post on Initellichlor and Phosphates).

Simply not true. Phosphates and nitrates do not interact with chlorine (hypochlorous acid) in any meaningful way. Both are nutrients for algae, plants or other microorganisms. If sufficient chlorine levels are maintained for a given CYA level, they can be ignored. If you stop sanitizing or under-sanitize your pool, it can get out of hand faster with higher phosphates. if sanitation is maintained, dead algae can't eat anything.

Curious about how do you filter. I have trees on my south side owned by my neighbor so nothing I can do about it. I switched from sand to de quad this year and has made a difference in how clear my water is. I wish I would've put in a bigger filter but it's doing the job. I have to clean the filter to keep the flow lite on for the swg to work.

12k IG Fiberglass, Pentair Intelliflo, Intellichlor I/C 40, Quad 60 DE filter. TF 100 test kit