Screwed up with Flocculant

Jsfry44

May 28, 2020
Kansas
I’m not a new pool owner, but I made a classic mistake of waiting way too long to open my pool this year. It was a lovely dark green and in a fit of idiocy decided to try something new. I went to pool store and decided to try “green to clean”. This produced a nice, blue milky color of water. I pumped for three days through the filter and got no results. My pH was at 7.2, my TA was at mid range, and I was using liquid chlorine to get my level to 4. I knew CYA was high at 90.
Then I decided to go really stupid and added flocculent. This produced absolutely no results whatsoever. Pool still really milky, nothing floating on the top, perhaps something was settled on the bottom but I couldn’t see it. I have now vacuumed to waste two times- “blindly” (I can just barely make out the vac head). Now that I have the flocculant in the water I’m concerned about how in the world I’m going to get it out. I am dropping, as we speak, my water level. I’m assuming I’m gonna have to go about halfway down. I plan on then refilling with fresh water.
Now the question: I know I have floc in the water. How much? No clue. Should I balance water by using the recirculate system? Does that work? Should I continue to vac to waste and for how long? I really can’t afford to screw up my filter.
Feedback is appreciated!

Welcome!

You’re definitely seeing why we don’t recommend floc. The way I see it you can either keep vacuuming to waste or just vacuum it up with everything else and then change out the sand in the filter. I can’t think of anything else to recommend :(

Welcome!

You’re definitely seeing why we don’t recommend floc. The way I see it you can either keep vacuuming to waste or just vacuum it up with everything else and then change out the sand in the filter. I can’t think of anything else to recommend :(
I would probably do that, except we just changed it this year. It was a genius move on my part I know.
Can I adjust chemicals by just running circulate?

That cloudiness was and likely still is an algae bloom. Chlorine at 4 with 90 CYA wasn't even enough to swim in safely, let alone clear algae!

So put the filter on recirculate and SLAM. First you need to let the water mix good and test CYA, then use enough chlorine to get up to SLAM level and keep it there. As water clears and stuff settles out, you'll be able to see to vacuum. I hope, anyway. Get things killed off and the sludge vacuumed to waste and then proceed with filtering to get it sparkling.

I know you don't want to hear this, but the Green to Clean you used contains "ethylenediaminetetraaceticaciddihydratediammoniumsulfate" I swear, that's what it is. Sadly, it's an ammonia product. You will need extra chlorine to eliminate the ammonia before it starts clearing up your algae.

You are going to need to SLAM your pool. What is that? Never heard of it?? I'll link the details below.

But, to SLAM you need your own accurate test kit. Order a TF-100 Test Kit ™ and at least include the XL Option . That will give you what you need while you are clearing the pool, and probably enough reagents for a couple of years normal use.

While you wait for it to get delivered, you have a homework reading assignment. Start with these:

No more trips to the pool store for magic potions. You already know the magic they perform on your pool.

Reactions: Jsfry44
That cloudiness was and likely still is an algae bloom. Chlorine at 4 with 90 CYA wasn't even enough to swim in safely, let alone clear algae!

So put the filter on recirculate and SLAM. First you need to let the water mix good and test CYA, then use enough chlorine to get up to SLAM level and keep it there. As water clears and stuff settles out, you'll be able to see to vacuum. I hope, anyway. Get things killed off and the sludge vacuumed to waste and then proceed with filtering to get it sparkling.
Thank you, that was what I was thinking of doing- but it was good to have it reaffirmed. I’ve just purchased 12 gallons of 12%, will read the slam guide and hope for the best. I don’t have the test kit, but will get online.

I know you don't want to hear this, but the Green to Clean you used contains "ethylenediaminetetraaceticaciddihydratediammoniumsulfate" I swear, that's what it is. Sadly, it's an ammonia product. You will need extra chlorine to eliminate the ammonia before it starts clearing up your algae.

You are going to need to SLAM your pool. What is that? Never heard of it?? I'll link the details below.

But, to SLAM you need your own accurate test kit. Order a TF-100 Test Kit ™ and at least include the XL Option . That will give you what you need while you are clearing the pool, and probably enough reagents for a couple of years normal use.

While you wait for it to get delivered, you have a homework reading assignment. Start with these:

No more trips to the pool store for magic potions. You already know the magic they perform on your pool.
Sincerely appreciate you linking all the articles that I need to read. It’ll make it easier to find as I’m going through the process.

Reactions: tim5055

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.