Scale or Efflorescence? And how do I get rid of it?

tenderfoot

Bronze Supporter
Aug 10, 2017
North/TX
Hi,

I have the following occurring on a few sections the tile along the same wall, and I would like to clean it off. But first, I assume I need to understand what it is so I can use the proper chemical/procedure/tools... Could someone please help me identify this and if possible how to clean it up?

efflorescence.jpg

I posted another thread with a white/brownish discoloration issue I am having on the grout/tile along one of the walls. I do not think that is associated to this issue, even though this is also happening along the same wall...

Anyway, as you can see in the photos below, there is a brownish stain on the coping that is sandwiched between the top of the gunite and the wall. There is a constant water drip in that spot, so I am assuming the stain is a "water stain".

It's been raining quite a bit (with flood-type rains) all year long here in North Texas, so I am thinking the water is just rain water that managed to get into the wall/tower and is now making its way out of it. But just wanted to check in case someone has seen this before and turned out to be something else!

The first photo is a photo that shows the wall, the second is a close up of the stain and the 3rd is a photo of the backside of that wall.

Thanks!

stain leak far.jpg

Stain leak close up.jpg

This next photo is the back of the wall. You can see that there's algae growing there, between the coping and the gunite... :-(

stain leak back wall.jpg

they are both connected to water bringing dirt and material through that wall, down the coping and into the tile.. you really need to waterproof the back of that wall to stop all water from coming through and creating problems down the road...

Do you know if they used a waterproof spray on the front and back of the wall when it was done? Something like these products?
PRIMARY WATERPROOFING

• AQURON CPSP << this is probably the one I am going to be using, suppose to be really good stuff..
• Basecrete BC Pool Shell Plus
• Miracote MiraPrime Aqua-Blok XL
• Multicoat Vapor Shield
• Valcon Industries Restructor

they are both connected to water bringing dirt and material through that wall, down the coping and into the tile.. you really need to waterproof the back of that wall to stop all water from coming through and creating problems down the road...

Do you know if they used a waterproof spray on the front and back of the wall when it was done? Something like these products?
PRIMARY WATERPROOFING

• AQURON CPSP << this is probably the one I am going to be using, suppose to be really good stuff..
• Basecrete BC Pool Shell Plus
• Miracote MiraPrime Aqua-Blok XL
• Multicoat Vapor Shield
• Valcon Industries Restructor
I am certain they did not use anything. 🙄

It's just cinder blocks and stucco on the back. On the front it's just the travertine facia.

sigh....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.