Saturation index

ethany

LifeTime Supporter
May 23, 2009
Trenton NJ
I'm reading my pool Pilot Dig-220 manual and came across the way to figure out your SI. It says :

Ph 7.4 + water temp(76degrees) 0.6+ CH (250) 2.0+ TA(80) 1.9 - salt level (3500) 12.4 = SI of -.5

Is that too high? It says it's ok if between -.3 thru .3

If so how can I adjust to an acceptable level.

With TFPC you can use PoolMath (button at the top) to calculate your calcite saturation index. It's a bit better than the Langelier saturation index, which is probably the one you'll find in your manual.

I entered your numbers in PoolMath, and used 40 for CYA (which you would need to change to the correct number) and got around -0.5 as well, so yes, it's a bit too low. Let your pH drift up to between 7.5 and 7.8 and you'll have a less aggressive CSI. You could also do with a bit more CH, which is raised with calcium chloride. I can't tell where you live, but many water supplies will add CH over time, so consider that as well, and when you get a chance, add your location.

Overall your numbers don't look bad, but it would be helpful to see the CYA level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.