Sand vs zeolite vs? for new sand filter.

kj5kb

Aug 8, 2010
SW of Kansas City
I am replacing an old generation Hayward S-244T with the same model new gen filter.

We've had the house/pool since 2014 , the past 2 years we've had a LOT of sand in the pool at startup. Last year we it cleared after a couple weeks but we figured a replacement filter was in order. This year I'm seeing sand in the backwash as well as in the pool. Filter tank has obvious UV wear, and drain plug is a pain to get sealed. Easy $270 decision...for the filter vs trying to repair it.

So what to put in it?

Sand vs Zeolite, vs....whatever???

Nice to meet you via TFP :)

Your best choice is No. 20 Silica Sand (aka pool filter sand). Alternative sand filter media haven't shown any gains over pool filter sand. Be sure to rinse thoroughly after backwashing (For my filter, rinsing for about 2 minutes works for me).

Yeh, you'll definitely want to put a timer on that and see how 6ish hrs a day goes.

Cheers

Nice to meet you via TFP :)

Your best choice is No. 20 Silica Sand (aka pool filter sand). Alternative sand filter media haven't shown any gains over pool filter sand. Be sure to rinse thoroughly after backwashing (For my filter, rinsing for about 2 minutes works for me).

Yeh, you'll definitely want to put a timer on that and see how 6ish hrs a day goes.

Cheers
Nice to meet you too and thanks for the advice. I'm very familiar with good old pool filter sand; I've used it in several aquariums. I'd typically put a bag at a time in a wheelbarrow and and rinse it before use in a fish tank...would probably do the same before pool use. Was wondering whether zeolite would give me much benefit or not? We do have some dissolved metals in our tap water but not much.

Have the 2-speed motor now, but still need to install the timer. ...round tuit project.

We get more bad reviews than good about zeolite and other alternative media for sand filters. Really, sand works great for many thousands of folks.

I can't see how it would hurt much, but you shouldn't need to clean the sand. The manual has instructions for protecting the top of the stand pipe (cover) and the laterals (putting some water in the filter), but otherwise it just gets dumped in straight out of the bag.

I also have an old generation Hayward sand filter, S220T and I replaced the sand today with Zeosand. I thought I would give it a try, since I was removing all the sand anyway, due to a broken lateral. The install went smoothly and I didn't have any problems with the Zeosand, replaced 250lbs of sand with 125lbs of Zeosand. I followed the instructions to backwash and rinse and everything went smoothly, sight glass cleared up after about 4 minutes on backwash. The pump has been running all day and the pool water looks great. I will see how things do in the long run but so far I am happy with the Zeosand.

I have been using Zeobrite for about 6 years. My filter media has pea pebbles on the bottom and the sand on the top. Something the pool company recommended. I used to fight green pools 1-2 times a season, but that changed when I embraced BBB and it is much simpler now.

I can't see how it would hurt much, but you shouldn't need to clean the sand. The manual has instructions for protecting the top of the stand pipe (cover) and the laterals (putting some water in the filter), but otherwise it just gets dumped in straight out of the bag.

Well, in an aquarium application you want it absolutely as dust free as possible. I guess in a sand pool filter it should be fine to just dump it in and then backwash!

Well, the filter I ordered Sunday and expecting Friday showed up today...TUESDAY! Off tomorrow so I guess I shall be going out for some media! Local pool Store no longer stocks ZeoSand and only PFS at $14.99 /50 lb. OUCH! Menard's Home Improvement, which is closer than the Pool Store...has same for $8.99/50lb...and of course they have PVC pipe/fittings, etc...figured I'd replace what I can while I have it apart. Doesnt hurt that I have $32 worth of credit slips for Menards, either!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Been running Zeobrite for years with a a pebble base like rjg202

The only trick I can see to it at all is thoroughly washing it before use. You are supposed to run a cleaner like boidex every so often but I havent bothered with that.

Ive had absolutely zero issues with it, it works so well for me - Im done with DE for life.

This site is fairly anti zeo.

UD

Been running Zeobrite for years with a a pebble base like rjg202

The only trick I can see to it at all is thoroughly washing it before use. You are supposed to run a cleaner like boidex every so often but I havent bothered with that.

Ive had absolutely zero issues with it, it works so well for me - Im done with DE for life.

This site is fairly anti zeo.

UD

Thanks. Picked up sand this morning and going to give it a try. I think my main problem was that the old sand was worn out. Haven't got the old filter emptied yet so can't see if any laterals were broken.

Yeh, the value gets commented on often. I have alternative filter media and I'm very happy with it. Pro's include not having to cart as much weight from the shop. Sand and zeo both get the job done, with sand a bit cheaper for many people. I think that's all it is.

Job done. Reused more of the old plumbing than planned as I bought DWV rated 90's instead of pressure rated...figured the nice curved ones would make for a better transition vs the pressure rated sharp 90s...then did my research when I got home...Oh well. Old filter was less than half full of sand, and sand was definitely worn, not quite muddy but lots of fines in it. Laterals appeared to be unbroken. Anyway, I'm actually getting better flow in the pool (to my eye) and have a lot more media in the filter. Valve on new filter operates "like butter", not having to torque on it two handed like old one. "She who must be obeyed" is quite happy about that!

If anyone in KC area wants my old S244T for parts/rebuild, PM me!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.