Sand vs DE filtlers

May 8, 2012
Takoma Park, MD
I've had the same sand filter for 15 years and have been generally happy with its performance, this year no so much. I've been slamming the pool for two days and the clarity is little improved. The filter doesn't seem to capture the algae unless I introduce 1/4 cup of DE. Within and hour the filter if ready to backwash. Is this normal? After researching the subject if appears that The DE filter provides superior clarity. Thoughts?
Taylor K 2006

When was the last time you opened up the filter and deep cleaned the sand bed? If channeling is present in the sand bed, then filtration performance takes a nose dive. If a sand filter has worked for your pool for 15 years, I see no reason to change. DE filters are great for filtration performance but have their own set of annoyances too. I’d first figure out why your filter is suddenly under-performing before ripping out what you have and replacing it with something else.

It sounds like your filter is working. Sand filters typically take a longer time to clear a pool. But a DE filter would even worse in your situation - if you get algae and SLAM, a DE filter loads up almost instantly and you’ll be backwashing it several times per day in the early stages. So again, I don’t think changing the filter type is really the answer here.

If you continue using DE in your sand filter, it should clear but it may still take longer than you’d like. You’ve only been SLAM’ing the pool for two days, it’s a bit early on to declare that your filter is the problem. Depending on the severity of the algae bloom, sone people have had to go a week or more before getting back to a clean and clear pool. I think you need to let it ride a little longer and keep using the small additions of DE to help the process along.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.