Sand Pump vs Cartridge for longer term re-usability vs prefabs? GPH calc? 1speed vs 2

With the exception of above ground (gravity prime) vs in ground (self prime), basically a pump is a pump. What is important is the flow rate produced by the pump, vs the flow rate design of the filter. You never want a pump that will regularly flow a lot more than the filter can handle or you will reduce it's filtering capability or physically damage it, in other words don't put a 80GPH pump on a filter designed to flow at 50GPH.

My goal with a 2-speed pump would be to run on high speed for a few hours a day for skimmer efficiency, then drop to the lower speed to maintain solar & (soon to be installed) SWG.

I finally got to hooking up the hayward 1.5 hp pump.. it seems to be doing well.. is 20 psi normal when freshly installed? The diverter on my two solar domes is reading 12 psi, about 1 psi on the edge of "green" though.

I had to actually close off the return valve, to allow the robot second valve to be full open and have enough power to not get stuck (with the solar diverter going).. kinda surprised that going from 0.5 to 1.5 still had issues with full power to both return ports.. i do have both the suction and the skimmer basket going wide open as well, though i may close off the suction slightly to allow more power to the haywood skimmer port.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.