Sand in the pool after backwash and rinse.

May 19, 2016
St Catharines, Ontario, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello. Last season when cleaning my sand filter I notice that the sand level was low, below half, so added 100 lbs of new sand to bring it closer to 3/4 full.

Since then I’ve noticed sand in the pool each time I backwash and rinse. Which I don’t have to do very often as I have a robot vacuum to clean the pool of most debris and the filter is never used to vacuum.

I was worried that maybe I had a crack in the standpipe so this season I removed all of the sand from the filter and inspected the standpipe for cracks. It looked very good with no issues.

Yesterday I backwashed for the first time this season and now have sand in the pool again. Perhaps a cup or two of sand

Does anyone knows why I might be getting sand in the pool after backwash?

Do I have too much sand in the filter?
Is there any other reasons for sand in the pool that isn’t a cracked standpipe?

Appreciate anyone’s experience with this, thanks.

Blame it on those ducks that were in the pool earlier. :swim: To be sure, are you rinsing long enough? Do you see any sand at the waste line? Once the water goes clear during rinse, give it another 30-45 seconds? If that's all good, then I'd suspect there's a damaged lateral. Maybe you can limp along for another month or so before closing, then take it all apart again to inspect?

Blame it on those ducks that were in the pool earlier. :swim: To be sure, are you rinsing long enough? Do you see any sand at the waste line? Once the water goes clear during rinse, give it another 30-45 seconds? If that's all good, then I'd suspect there's a damaged lateral. Maybe you can limp along for another month or so before closing, then take it all apart again to inspect?
Thanks TS. Lol. My wife loved the ducks. It was fun to watch their mannerisms.

No sign of sand at the wasteline. But now that you have mention it. I am probably not rinsing long enough. I’ve haven’t changed my 30 second rinse time since adding the sand. And frankly neglected to ensure that the water was running clean before switching back to filter. Duh. I’ll give that a try and fingers crossed that is it. A brain problem as opposed to a lateral problem. 😂

thanks again. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.