Sand in pool after deep cleaning

Jubenez

May 15, 2019
Indiana
Hello!
We did a deep.clean of the sand on Thursday, and then yesterday (Saturday) i noticed sand in the pool especially near return jets. It was probably there before yesterday, I just couldn't see it due to water clarity.
I vacuumed it up and this morning it looks just as bad. I'm worried that we broke a lateral.

My husband says that continually vacuuming sand will ruin the pump and we should shut it down. He is working today and every day for the next week so I'm going to have to figure this out!

My plan is to order the laterals asap just in case, go pick up sand, then get to work emptying the old sand.

Haven't looked.yet to see if we can get laterals for our 20 yr old filter. It is a sta rite T 240BP 1

Any advice before I get started?
Thank you!

Attachments

• 20220515_063758.jpg
    20220515_063758.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 20220515_064813.jpg
    20220515_064813.jpg
    366 KB · Views: 12
I wouldn't worry too much about vacuuming the sand. It will be fine. The sand particles are fine enough to pass through the pump's impeller area and get sucked right back up into the sand vessel. Just go slow. Unfortunately more will spit out until you get the lateral assembly replaced. I know you were in the middle of a SLAM Process in your other thread, but if the sand gets worse, you can always place the filter on recirculate for a while. It might slow the SLAM down a little, but will prevent new sand from getting pushed into the pool.

I wouldn't worry too much about vacuuming the sand. It will be fine. The sand particles are fine enough to pass through the pump's impeller area and get sucked right back up into the sand vessel. Just go slow. Unfortunately more will spit out until you get the lateral assembly replaced. I know you were in the middle of a SLAM Process in your other thread, but if the sand gets worse, you can always place the filter on recirculate for a while. It might slow the SLAM down a little, but will prevent new sand from getting pushed into the pool.
Thanks for the idea!
Any advice on parts to have on hand before beginning? I don't want to get into the process and not have what I need. Not sure whether to get a lateral assembly or just a few of the individual laterals. I'll have to call around when stores open to see what's available.
Thanks!

Are u certain it’s sand? Scoop some up & feel of it to be sure. Dead algae poofs/squishes - sand is obviously grainy. You can try putting skimmer socks/ pantyhose on your return jets to catch it as well.
It’s also possible you just got some down in the stand pipe when cleaning. If that’s the case it will be less & less & eventually go away.

Reactions: Jubenez
I assume it's sand because it is near the return jets. I went ahead and vacuumed the sand out of the filter just now (how fun is that). The laterals are all attached, no visible damage. 🤔 but difficult to inspect because it cannot be removed from filter. I assume I could remove the laterals individually and inspect? Anything particular to look for? I guess we get sand replacement this year lol. Only done that 1 time in 18 years.

Attachments

• 20220515_103523.jpg
    20220515_103523.jpg
    479.2 KB · Views: 14
Are u certain it’s sand? Scoop some up & feel of it to be sure. Dead algae poofs/squishes - sand is obviously grainy. You can try putting skimmer socks/ pantyhose on your return jets to catch it as well.
It’s also possible you just got some down in the stand pipe when cleaning. If that’s the case it will be less & less & eventually go away.
Well darn it does not really feel like sand, it kind of disperses. But why would it be right at thr return jet?

If in the middle of slam there’s likely spots all over but sometimes there tends to be more near the returns because the filter can only process so much dead algae so some of it comes back out & collects in the closest place (divots/wrinkles nearby)
For the laterals:
It looks like the laterals unscrew with a 1/4 turn counter clockwise
After u get them off you can pull out the entire assembly
30C24BE8-47C1-4147-806D-371BD98E04EC.jpeg

If in the middle of slam there’s likely spots all over but sometimes there tends to be more near the returns because the filter can only process so much dead algae so some of it comes back out & collects in the closest place (divots/wrinkles nearby)
For the laterals:
It looks like the laterals unscrew with a 1/4 turn counter clockwise
After u get them off you can pull out the entire assembly
View attachment 411009
Thank you!

Well. New sand in and everything up and running. The laterals seemed fine so no repairs needed. We did have a dirtier than usual pool this year due to holes in the mesh safety cover ( ordering new one as soon as I figure that out). So we were going to replace sand at end of season or beginning of next. At least next year we will know that it's done! And I learned a lot and got a workout doing it myself! 😄 Thanks for the advice!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.