Sand Filters Keep Leaking

Jun 10, 2015
Chico/California
I was doing some maintenance in the pool house over the weekend and noticed my Hayward S270T 27 inch sand filter was leaking out of the seam in the plastic body. This will be the second S270T I've had to replace, first one was installed 2015 and again in 2016. After the first filter failed (just after warranty) I replaced the old squealing single speed pump with a Pentair Superflow VS partially thinking less time at full RPM would extend the life of the filter. At full RPM (which runs 3 hours daily for the booster) and clean the pressure gauge reads ~20psi with the booster pump on or ~25psi running by itself and I back flush when when by itself it reads 28psi . Both filters ended up leaking at the top of the filter body, maybe 3 inches below where the control valve sits.

Is this normal, am I doing something wrong?

@InyoRob

I was doing some maintenance in the pool house over the weekend and noticed my Hayward S270T 27 inch sand filter was leaking out of the seam in the plastic body. This will be the second S270T I've had to replace, first one was installed 2015 and again in 2016. After the first filter failed (just after warranty) I replaced the old squealing single speed pump with a Pentair Superflow VS partially thinking less time at full RPM would extend the life of the filter. At full RPM (which runs 3 hours daily for the booster) and clean the pressure gauge reads ~20psi with the booster pump on or ~25psi running by itself and I back flush when when by itself it reads 28psi . Both filters ended up leaking at the top of the filter body, maybe 3 inches below where the control valve sits.

Is this normal, am I doing something wrong?
The 27inch should be able to handle most any pump you "throw" at it. Is the seam part of the molding that is failing? I would be contacting Hayward and the installer.

Regardless of the maximum "rated" pressure, those filters do not do well with high pressure.

For maximum longevity, maintain the pressure below 20 psi at all times.

You really should not ever need enough flow to exceed 20 psi.

Splashpad: Yes, they both leak right at the top. I sent an email to Hayward but I'm the installer so thats no help. There was an old black sand filter that came with the house and the S270T fit with just a little modification.

JamesW: Whats the ideal PSI range for a sand filter? I've never looked to see how low I can set the main pump while still getting good cleaning with my pressure side pool cleaner. I'll fiddle around with it tonight...

Attachments

• IMG_20190429_124522587.jpg
    IMG_20190429_124522587.jpg
    535.7 KB · Views: 70
Those plastic tanks don't do well with pressure. The lower the better. I would say keep it below 20 psi.

If you need to run high pressure, go with a fiberglass reinforced model.

I heard back from Hayward, the guy said the tank should have handled that pressure and sent out a new tank free of charge. Its well after the warranty so I'm impressed with the customer service. I asked if they suggest a good operating range but he never responded. I'll take JamesW's advice and see if the automatic pool cleaner works well enough with a lower psi range.

Thanks for the help!

Why did you replace the black filter ?
You need to provide more info, pics of equipment, plumbing, etc.

There sounds like a possible restriction in return side back to pool, an obstruction in the line somewhere, It looks like a gate valve in the background of the filter pic, do you have gate valves on the pool to adjust suction and return flow anywhere? your lack of info here makes it very hard to help.

The new filter tank being sent to you will most likely also fail, there is something causing the psi to be so high.

You should be looking at 10-15 psi range with a clean filter, not 25-28 psi.

We have newborn twins and the big brother brought home strep so I haven't been able to follow up or install the new filter. No gate valves, they are for an old heater/solar heater but it's all cut out. And yes I replaced the black filter because it leaked. It came with the house which we bought 5 years ago.
A local company did the original install and I only had to slightly modify it for the first filter. It all looks pretty straight forward, only a couple 90 bends but maybe I should use larger diameter pipe and 45s when I put the new filter in? There does appear to be a check valve after the filter and before the booster which I've never function tested.
I did lower the rpm a hair and was able to get the psi below 20. I think it only took from 3140 rpm to 2850. Maybe just keep those settings, new filter and call it good?

Attachments

• IMG_20190513_123123076.jpg
    IMG_20190513_123123076.jpg
    575.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20190513_123055533.jpg
    IMG_20190513_123055533.jpg
    606 KB · Views: 10
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.