Sand filter replacement issues

jtburf

Jun 8, 2015
Houston, TX
Howdy all,
Last month my Hayward filter developed a small split in the seem and I tried to fix it however it did not hold. So I ordered a knockoff Blue Devil B8318 Sand Filter 19"

When setting up the new one, i reused all the existing sand I could and I think i might have used a little too much. After running the filter for say a week I get about 1/2 of a cup on sand in my pool. (above ground 5500 gallons). My questions is this, with out cutting all my plumbing and popping the valve off is there and way I can flush some sand out of the filter?

Pool is crystal clear, filters works great, pool chemistry if spot on.

Thanks for your help.

John

You don't have unions on the in / out ports of multi valve?
Any chance you got sand into the stand pipe when re-filling?
I don't think its possible to remove sand any other way other than popping the top off , besides, its a lot easier with unions and ball valves ahead of those
What was the sand capacity of the old tank compared to new one?

You need to remove the valve on top of the filter to remove sand. If you had plumbed the multi port valve with no unions then you really should install one union at the input and one at the output so that you can remove the valve. This will allow you to add sand in the future if necessary and to clean the filter occasionally.

Mike.

Yeah I just did not have 2 unions on hand when I installed the new filter. I by passed the old filter when it split so I could keep the pump running. The new filter came with a fill cap the prevented you from getting sand in the stand pipe or laterals. I guess I will make it a Saturday project and put a couple unions in.

Now way to really determine how much sand I put in as it was wet (could not weigh) and I dumped the old sand on to a tarp so it easy to scoop and pour...

Thanks all.
John

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.