Sand filter not filtering.

duraleigh said:
Most frequently, it involves replacing the "spider" gasket......should certainly be less than $20.00

I am looking at the parts list for the multi port valve and I do not see a spider gasket. The only thing I see is Orings.
Here is a parts diagram on page 6 http://www.propools.com/instructions_ow ... ar-sys.pdf
Which part are you refering to that may be faulty? I think I am going to order one and replace it.

8 27-2512 Diverter W/Gasket
on the diagram. It appears they only list the gasket with the diverter. I'm gettin out of my league but most multi-ports list the gasket seperately.

I would disassemble and inspect for obvious damage before I order that whole assembly.

Yeah after posting I went ahead and dis assembled the valve and found that everything was in working order. All of the gaskets are in good shape so it basicly has to be the sand I would think. Is there anything else that could cause this?

Actually, I can't think of a reason the sand could cause it. After eliminating the multi-port valve, I would look next at the internal parts of the filter. A broken pipe or distributor and, particularly, a broken or torn lateral, could easily be letting dirt and sand into the pool. In my mind, you have eliminated channeling by your repositioning and cleaning of the sand.

under what circumstances do you think the sand could be causing the problem?

duraleigh said:
Actually, I can't think of a reason the sand could cause it. After eliminating the multi-port valve, I would look next at the internal parts of the filter. A broken pipe or distributor and, particularly, a broken or torn lateral, could easily be letting dirt and sand into the pool. In my mind, you have eliminated channeling by your repositioning and cleaning of the sand.

under what circumstances do you think the sand could be causing the problem?

PaulR in post 10 stated " Channeling is not always visible, and clumps can be down where you can't see them". So I am guessing I need to remove all of the sand and inspect the laterals now. I am going to get a shop vac and suck out the sand tomorrow and see what I find. If all looks ok I will go in with the new sand since I already have it. If everything looks good whats next. This has got me puzzled. :hammer:

I stuck my hand in and did not feel any clumps so I got the hose with a nozzle on the end of it and stuck it down in the sand and moved it around until the water running out was clean.I dont know what else I can do.
I think that got rid of any channeling that may have existed.

Ok well I changed the sand since I had already bought it and its still doing the same thing. :twisted:
I think the problem is what ever is in the pool is too fine for the filter to catch it and it is just returning to the pool during vacuuming. Is there any way to get it out without having to vac while on waste? I just got all of my levels good and if I vac to waste I will probably lose over half the water in the pool since it take me 1.5-2 hours to vac the 24' pool. I know I am slow but I dont want to stir up the silt. Could a pool guy vac with a different type of vac and catch it without losing all of the water? If so I think it would be worth it. I was hoping to have it perfectly clean for my daughters third b-day today but its ok, atleast we can still swim in it. Thanks for the help.

jeremydu said:
Ok well I changed the sand since I had already bought it and its still doing the same thing. :twisted:
I think the problem is what ever is in the pool is too fine for the filter to catch it and it is just returning to the pool during vacuuming. Is there any way to get it out without having to vac while on waste? I just got all of my levels good and if I vac to waste I will probably lose over half the water in the pool since it take me 1.5-2 hours to vac the 24' pool. I know I am slow but I dont want to stir up the silt. Could a pool guy vac with a different type of vac and catch it without losing all of the water? If so I think it would be worth it. I was hoping to have it perfectly clean for my daughters third b-day today but its ok, atleast we can still swim in it. Thanks for the help.

I believe "clarifier" will clump the small stuff up and make it rise to the surface where the automatic or manual skimmers can get it. Be very careful though, I would only use it as per instructed (even use a little less than what it tells you to) and make sure you are there to watch the filter/skimmer to make sure it doesnt clog up with all of the stuff. Flocculant will clump stuff up too, but I think the difference is that it makes it sink to the bottom where you would vac to waste (which you dont want to do)

Ive used clarifier once and it worked perfectly....but I was lucky. I wasnt home to watch the skimmer but there wasnt enough stuff to clump up and clog the works

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah I cant belive I didnt suggest that.

I recently did it for my pool and it helped a lot with some junk that was suspended. That and the floccing got the pool clear pretty quickly.

Know anyone with pools that have DE filters? I was actually able to snag a bag full from someone I used to work with (imagine the logistics of someone walking in and handing me a zip lock bag full of fine white powder......)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.