yazzu

May 14, 2020
Fort Worth, Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi Everyone, new here and relatively new to owning a pool. Haven't had any issues in a year or so but recently am getting sand in the pool.

After I backwash and return the valve to its normal position, I turn the pump back on and sand start shooting out of the returns. This continues for a few minutes then clears up.

My filter is a Triton TR 140C. With a 2 position valve. (So there is no "rinse" setting)

I've read that it may be the lateral lines but it was suggested that if it was, sand would be coming out all of the time.
Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Yazzu

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Sounds like you have a plunger valve versus a multiport. Do you know how old that filter or valve are? Those valves do have small O-rings that can wear-out and need to be replaced. You should be able to look-up a part number either for the Triton filter or on the valve itself and find a replacement O-ring kit. That might do the trick. I tend to agree that if it were a lateral you would probably see sand passing out of the returns more often.

Don't forget to update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info. Thanks for posting.

Hi Texas Splash, Yes. It is the plunger type valve. From the date on the filter it was installed on 10/01/2012. Not sure about the valve though.
Looks like the valve is separate.

Would it be worth it to update it to a multiport valve?

Thanks for the advise. Ill see if i can find the O ring kit for the valve

Edit*
Found the o-ring kit on Amazon. Ill report back after replacing this weekend

Would it be worth it to update it to a multiport valve?
Should be an option. You might check the webite or confirm with someone like at InyoPools to ensure there is a suitable MPV match. A rebuild kit for the plunger would be much cheaper though. I also suspect that if you changed to a MVP (which has its advantages) you would probably have to re-plumb some of the PVC. Really comes down to what feels right to you.

Reactions: yazzu
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.