Salvageable?

Athas08

Jun 23, 2021
Austin, tx
Please no judgmental comments. We didn't close down our pool for the winter. We didn't last winter either, but were able to get it up and running. It's been uncovered since we got it in May 2020

I know what to do to get the water clear, but I'm wondering if the liner is too compromised? I've been advised by a couple of other above ground pool owners that we're really risking busting the liner because of the lack of winterization. We live near Austin, TX. So not super cold winters.

Thank you.

I’ve never heard of that. A lot of people on here don’t take down their pools for the winter. Especially those us in the south.

As long as you keep water in it and somewhat maintain levels, especially pH/TA, your vinyl should be fine.

Did they explain why?

Is there damage? What would make the liner compromised?

I live in NJ and many years ago our first pool was 2 years old and the winter cover that was supplied as part of the pool package tore in halve during the winter leaving my pool totally exposed. I did winterize the pool which is needed in NJ but the pool was a swamp by the time I opened it. I had that for another 18 years with the same liner. As dBsooner said there are people who don't cover their pool. Not sure how cold it gets in Austin but if it didn't get to below freezing for a week or so you may just be OK, I believe our pools up here during a normal winter freeze close to solid and come back OK. We need to worry about the ice expanding and destroying things.

Reactions: dBsooner
Please no judgmental comments.
I would LOVE to judge the state of the liner from the pics you posted. But. 🤷‍♂️

Also, I left my above ground open in NY. The ice was 6 inches thick for a month that year. It didn't care and it was fine. It would have been just as frozen under a cover.

Ok. That liner has seen better days either way. Covering it for a short winter wouldn't have extended its remaining lifespan by any measurable amount of time IMO.

Reactions: dfwnoob
So you're saying, in your opinion, it's better not to fill it?
I wouldnt fight that water, personally. I'd drain and start over. Then enjoy it for however long it lasts.
And what are the signs you're seeing with the liner?
The rail sleeves look good and weathered. They will start to rip/tear at some point.

I wouldnt fight that water, personally. I'd drain and start over. Then enjoy it for however long it lasts.

The rail sleeves look good and weathered. They will start to rip/tear at some point.
My biggest concern is a sudden, structural failure that is massive. The way the yard is, 5000 gallons would all go toward our neighbor.

I know you can't tell me to fill or not fill, but what would be done signs that it's time to drain before it just falls apart?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would clean it up, fill it up and swim it up! There is nothing there to indicate structural failure.
And then I’d make sure to follow the TFP methods to keep the water TFP clear. Then, I’d follow some basic instructions during the winter to keep the water cleanish. A cover of will cost you less than $100 on Amazon or other online pool stores (inyopools.com !). This will help at least keep debris out of the water and water in it. You’ll check your water chemistry a couple times a month and adjust as needed. Then make sure to open up the pool and start maintaining before the water temps hit 60. That will keep you from having a swamp to clean. Pretty much open up to blue water.

Reactions: Athas08
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.