Salt water pool or in line Chlorinator for vacation home pool

Sep 26, 2012
I was not sure where to put this question.... I have a salt pool at my home and we love it but it does require very frequent additions of acid every few days. First thought salt water for obvious reasons. But since we don't live there and I will have a company servicing it... I am trying to figure out the best option.... Interested in your thoughts. They only service it once per week. Thank you, KIM

Pick your poison right? Potentially high pH or high CYA from tablets? Since pH can be managed with periodic acid additions but CYA must be drained, I'd be tempted to go with salt (SWG). A pH test once a week should be easier to perform and manage.

Reactions: Berger82
You can automate your muriatic acid additions to the pool with a Stenner pump or IntelliPH (if using Pentair equipment). Not sure if it would be worth it if you are going to have a pool service come once a week, but that is an option.

I vote salt too. If it's being serviced have them adjust the pH. They might not want to do muriatic acid but just have them add dry pH reducer.

I vote for the SWG option.. the rising pH is actually fairly forgiving and easy to adjust. How long of a time span would you be away, months or weeks at a time?.. on the other hand rising CYA can only be dealt with by a drain and refill, and when the CYA gets high the CL is less effective, do add a likely SLAM To that... i think I would find it easier to readjust the pH every other week.

Reactions: markayash
the rising pH is actually fairly forgiving and easy to adjust
Exactly. Being a website full of enthusiastic testers folks tend to overtest and constantly adjust back down to the lower end of the range but it rises quicker from there. If people just let the PH sit at 7.8 to 8 like it wants to there would be much less headache and worry. Any reading of 7.X is good once everything else is in line.

Reactions: Dirk
If people just let the PH sit at 7.8 to 8 like it wants to there would be much less headache and worry. Any reading of 7.X is good once everything else is in line.
This is exactly what I found to be true about my pool. Which, by the way, has automation for both FC and pH. I can easily go a week between testing, and a month or more without adding anything manually. You don't mention what type of equipment is at the other pool. Even if it's not Pentair, you can add a Pentair SWG and IntellipH. They would work "stand-alone." The IpH controller can control both the IpH and the SWG. Ideally, you'd want this all controlled by some sort of pool automation controller, as it's important that the SWG not be able to turn on if the pump isn't running. But there are work-arounds for that if your pool isn't fully automated.

If you're going to seek advice about two separate pools, you might want to have both in your signature, so we can keep track of which is which.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.