Salt Water Pool Indoors - Could it cause excess corrosion?

Jon123

Jun 16, 2018
Massachusetts
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
We have an indoor pool and the previous owner switched it to use an SWG (this would probably be 7-8 years ago at this point). I'm concerned that the added salt in the water (and thus salt in the air) could be causing excess corrosion of the metal parts of the room (especially things like screws, nails, etc - you know the things keeping the room together). We recently replaced the fans in the room and each of them had a ton of rust in their canopies. It's possible this would happen even if the pool were not salt water, but I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts on the combination of salt water + indoor pool?

Salt doesn't evaporate. So it's a humidity / moisture problem if it happens. (y)

How old is the pool ?

Got it.

Pool was built in 1985 I believe.

That makes sense. I have been meaning to install an intake fan in there to try to deal with the humidity a bit. I can't do much about MA summers though either. The room doesn't have (isn't built for) a proper indoor pool dehumidification system.

37 years later I don't fault the building materials that weren't designed for that application. You probably have standard issue doors/windows/etc Proper HVAC systems with what we now know are spendy, but if you plan on being there for a while, you'll want to at least look at upgrading the existing system. Anything you do upgrade or work on, needs high quality materials/fasteners.

Keep us posted. :)

P.S. we LOVE pics you know. Especially of the rare variety like an indoor pool.

A bunch of pictures here (pool, room, equipment, etc): pool-photos

37 years later I don't fault the building materials that weren't designed for that application. You probably have standard issue doors/windows/etc

That's a good point, maybe I'm being too hard on it ;)

To do a proper HVAC system would really be a tear-down situation, especially given the age of everything. The room is built of cinderblock/concrete up to the lattice, then it's wood above that. Very little insulation. It'd cost a small fortune to retrofit if it were even possible - at that point I think I'd have to consider ripping it all out and putting in an outdoor pool 😢

Someone else recommended the intake fan, that's much more doable, but I can't reduce the humidity inside the building to less than that of the humidity outside the building with that.

Reactions: Newdude
Something to look into which may or may not work is a Dakin split system. My son used to be in residential HVAC and he said they are pretty impressive. Apparently with a Dakin you can put more than 1 head unit on the outside condenser so it may be more economical to have a couple of units vs 1 huge unit. A large (or a couple) dehumidifiers may work well but could be expensive to run.

I don't know how humid it gets in Massachusetts, I assume about what it gets like here in NJ. Maybe an exhaust fan for the days it isn't close to 100% humidity outside and then switch to a different option when it gets to above 90% humidity.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.