Salt water generator says to service.

Minda Martin

Bronze Supporter
Jul 22, 2019
Arkansas
I have no manual. Previous owner installed it in spring of 2016. We bought the house in fall of 2016. I called the pool store who used to open and close my pool but no longer will since I do not buy chemicals from them. They said the cell probably needs to be replaced. $1000-$1500. or more. So my dilemma is, we have committed to building a barn and the price of the metal jumped 60%. I really can't afford to buy a new cell at this time. I am scheduled to close next Wed. Will it hurt to continue running the generator til then and install a new cell in the spring or do I need to set it on 00? The SWG says my Salt is 2800. I used my Taylor K-1766 and it says my salt level is 3400. Between 3000-3600 is recommended. I run it 24-7 except when the robot is in or when toddlers are in the pool or we're having a really cool night. I usually have it set on 45 but have it bumped up to 75 right now. Right now my F/C is high. It is 11. CC is 1. TA is 70, CYA is 60. (I added 27 oz cya this a.m.) PH is 7.8

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    348.5 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    487 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    372.1 KB · Views: 9
If your cell is still producing, troubleshoot the message first. But…

A generic cell is a few hundred bucks.. a name brand is not that much more. Your pool store gave you poor info. Couple of examples…

Thank you for looking those up. Looks like the generic is about $370. less shipping. Is that something I can do myself or do I need someone to install it? I just noticed the cell is on and the service light is off. I think I will try to wait for spring as with my closing costs and cell, that is at the least, $800. I have no idea if the people who open and close the pool clean the cell or just ignore it. Should I turn the generator to 00? Service light is back on.

Maybe a failing cell.

Check the plug going to the cell.

Check the cell for scale and clean the cell if it has scale, but only if it has scale.

Increase the salinity according to the box to 3,400 ppm.

It's easy enough to replace the cell and trisensor.

The plugs are tight and on and I can see the marks on the outside of the cell and someone has obviously used a huge wrench to open it. No way I can budge it. I guess i can get the pool boy to check it next Wed. When I checked the salt today, it was 3400 using the Taylor K-1766. The sensor says it is 2800. I added 80 lbs of salt 2 weeks ago because the sensor said to 'add salt' and the sensor registered 2800. Pool math said to add 37 lbs but I added 40.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.