Salt Water Chlorine Generator

edibower

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 29, 2013
Phoenix,AZ
Havent been on the forum in quite awhile, actually thanks to this site. Have been using the TFP method for 6 years and never changed our water and the water has been great. Well, the price of chlorine this past summer has me wanting to have an SWCG installed for next spring and summer. the price of chlorine doubled in Oct. I asked this question a couple of years ago, and it was recommended at the time, a Hayward Aquarite 40K. Wondering if recommendations have changed since then, as we are definetely going to have one installed this spring. We have a water softener filling our pool water so there is already a certain amount of salt in the water, obviously not enough. We live in Phoenix, and only have had 1 quote but it was $2800 to install one. I must be upfront I am not the handiest person in the world, so I would feel better having it installed by someone that knows what they are doing......thanks in advance

Havent been on the forum in quite awhile, actually thanks to this site
The fine folks here work themselves out of a job on the daily, being victims of their own success. Welcome back. :)

it was recommended at the time, a Hayward Aquarite 40K.
Hayward is still a premium brand with many millions of happy customers. 40k is a great size for you. Upgrading capacity is not proportionate to the cost increase, and the math works heavy in your favor.

I'm assuming you have no automation based upon your signature. If so, will you ever get it ? Will you stick with Hayward when you do, or the pump goes ? A little future planning goes a long way now. (y)

We have a water softener filling our pool water so there is already a certain amount of salt in the water, obviously not enough
You'll be surprised when you test it to get your baseline before adding salt. Every pool chemical you add is either a salt, or breaks down into salt. You havent had to drain and you don't get much rain, you may even be over the reccomended salt levels.
I must be upfront I am not the handiest person in the world, so I would feel better having it installed by someone that knows what they are doing.
Absolutely nothing wrong here. Most of the companies want it professionally installed for the full warranty anyway.

Reactions: Mdragger88 and Dirk
I'm assuming you have no automation based upon your signature. If so, will you ever get it ? Will you stick with Hayward when you do, or the pump goes ? A little future planning goes a long way now. (y)
If I may expound a bit. What 'dude is getting at is that you want your main filter pump, your SWG and your pool automation controller to all be of the same brand, because they can talk to each other and you'd be able to take advantage of all their features. Equipment from competing brands are not compatible in that way. Pool controllers can get other brands to turn on and off well enough, but, for example, if you wanted to adjust your SWG's output while you're away from home, then you'd need same-same to pull that off.

If you have no reason to add automation, or if you do and you'd likely stick with Hayward, then a Hayward SWG is the way to go. But if some other brand of pump and/or automation is in your future, you'd want to buy an SWG of that same brand.

Thanks for all your input..........as far as automation I am not sure....but whatever equipment that is installed in future I will make sure it is Hayward for the reasons you indicated, that is not a problem. I will shop around and find the most trustworthy and reasonably priced person around our area.

Reactions: Dirk and newdude
Your water softener - if functioning correctly - is not adding any salt to your pool water. It may add a little sodium.
Salt is present in the chlorine and acid you add - and you city water may also have some in it.

Consider getting a Taylor K-1766 salt test kit. Before adding any salt for your future SWG, test how much you already have in the pool water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.