St. Louis/MO
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Am awaiting delivery of a Saltron Mini for my spa and the online manual recommends 99.9% pure salt. I've read on other treads here that people recommend Diamond Splash Ready (99.3%) and Morton Professional Choice Pool Salt (I can't find the % anywhere, including on the Morton site). Should I ignore the manual and just go with either of these? Thanks!

The pool aisle may not be 'in season' yet at your HD /Lowes / Walmart. But head over to the plumbing section of HD/Lowes and they have water softener salt next to the hot water heaters. Get whatever bag says 100% pure on it from Diamond Crystal brand. The 40 lbs will probably last you forever for $7 (?)

Reactions: Mdragger88
The pool aisle may not be 'in season' yet at your HD /Lowes / Walmart. But head over to the plumbing section of HD/Lowes and they have water softener salt next to the hot water heaters. Get whatever bag says 100% pure on it from Diamond Crystal brand. The 40 lbs will probably last you forever for $7 (?)
Thanks. Looks like DC makes water softener pellets that are 99.8% pure, water softener crystals that are 99.6% pure and Splash Ready Pool Salt that's "over 99%" pure. Links below. I can get any of these--which would you recommend?

Water Softener Salt | Diamond Crystal® Salt
Splash Ready Pool Salt | Diamond Crystal® Salt

The decimal point after 99 is pretty irrelevant and not likely representative of any real accuracy. Any of those are fine. They just can’t say 100% pure salt on the odd chance some trace amount of other stuff makes it into the bag.

Reactions: Newdude
Yeah, I'm happy with over 99% lol.

I haven't bought that brand in a couple years because I lost my pool and the PB gave me fancy salt with the new pool. It used to say it was pure but is plenty close enough.

The decimal point after 99 is pretty irrelevant and not likely representative of any real accuracy. Any of those are fine. They just can’t say 100% pure salt on the odd chance some trace amount of other stuff makes it into the bag.
OK, great--thanks

I have never used softener salt (because it’s not really common here) but I have used the splash ready one in both pool & hot tub & had no issues.
In general diamond crystals is good stuff 👍🏻
The only one I know of to avoid at all costs is clorox pool salt - it’s known to have impurities & cause staining.
Err on the light side when dosing, it’s easy to overdo it in a small spa. Also, Let it circulate for a day before testing & putting your cell in.

Reactions: Newdude
I have never used softener salt (because it’s not really common here) but I have used the splash ready one in both pool & hot tub & had no issues.
In general diamond crystals is good stuff 👍🏻
The only one I know of to avoid at all costs is clorox pool salt - it’s known to have impurities & cause staining.
Err on the light side when dosing, it’s easy to overdo it in a small spa. Also, Let it circulate for a day before testing & putting your cell in.
OK, good advice--thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.