Salt Test for Hot Tub

QuiltinMom

Platinum Supporter
Mar 24, 2013
Central Iowa
When adding salt it is advised to turn off the SWCG until your independent salt test shows you are in the range for the SWCG to work.

Do you have a salt test kit?
Is it necessary to have a salt test kit if you are ONLY going to have a salt hot tub?

We recently got a free used hot tub and we are planning on setting it up on salt. Just need to know if I need to have a test kit here or not. THANKS!!!

A ran my previous 200 gallon tub on a Control-o-Matic SWCG (inline). The Taylor drop test kit for Sodium Chloride was helpful to confirm I was getting the target ppm and monitoring it over time as water was replaced with fresh due to splash out / carry out on suits / etc. Most SWCG will detect a low-salt or high-salt condition and flash an error light, but it is nice to know trends before they become a problem.

If you haven't read up on it yet, you will want to follow a modified version of Dichlor-the-Bleach method. I used Dichlor for the first week, then added the salt and turned on the SWCG. This ensured I had some reasonable amount of CYA (stabilizer) in the water to buffer the chlorine produced by the SWCG. I would also occasionally dose Dichlor as CYA drops over time. The SWCG can also cause pH to drift up over time, so one ends up adding acid from time to time.

Reactions: QuiltinMom
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.