Salt Level Keeps Dropping

DMD

Mar 8, 2010
Fresno, CA
According to my SWG, the salt level in my pool is dropping about 200 to 300 ppm each month. The pool isn't used very often. I assume this can mean 1 of 2 things. First, the cell itself is getting near the end of its life. Second, the pool has a leak somewhere. The fact that my cell is less than a year old makes me think that it's the second explanation.

However, I'm not noticing any wet areas around the pool equipment. The rest of the pool area is covered in concrete, so I can't really tell. I also have sandy soil that drains quickly. Is there any way to tell if my pool is leaking? If I'm not seeing water, is it something to worry about?

Do you have an auto fill? Whats your make-up water per day? If you had a leak you would likely see it in the amount of make-up. If you have an auto fill , turn it off , and watch it a couple of days.

Lana537 said:
What has your CYA and your CH been doing? Do you have test strips to test your salt level besides reading what the SWCG says?

Lana

Both were low. I used a test strip a few weeks ago and it showed salt levels about 300 ppm higher than the SWG. However, the chlorine levels improved when I added more salt.

coloeb said:
Do you have an auto fill? Whats your make-up water per day? If you had a leak you would likely see it in the amount of make-up. If you have an auto fill , turn it off , and watch it a couple of days.

I have an auto fill. How do I turn it off?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.