Salt level high, CYA level low with an SWG

jsternberg

Dec 10, 2020
Addison, TX
Hi,

I recently started maintaining a pool with an SWG. The plaster recently finished curing for the first 30 days so the pool builder added the salt so that the salt cell could be turned on. I've been using a test kit to manage the pool and knew based on the recommendations here that I would have to increase the CYA so yesterday I bought some solid stabilizer, introduced it by the sock method, then left the pump on overnight after leaving the sock in since the morning.

When I went to look at the panel today, I was surprised to find that the salt level had increased from 3.1 GPL to 3.7 GPL. I thought to myself, "Of course, the solid stabilizer must also contain salt to stabilize the acid."

I just tested the CYA again and I'm going to test it again tomorrow to ensure that the level is as expected. The value was 30 for CYA and it's now 50. My intention was to get it to 60 so I think that that's likely going to be the value I get when I test tomorrow. I was planning to add more to get to the recommended 70-80 range, but now my salt level is too high and the way to lower salt will also lower the CYA.

Did I do this in the wrong order when adding salt and CYA to the pool and how do I handle this situation? Do I need to replace the water to lower the salt and then replace the salt with more CYA since I will have lowered the CYA at the same time? If I have to do water replacement, how do I do that? I have an overflow drain but I don't have a pump to drain the water from the pool. If I were to run the hose to add water for 5-10 minutes once an hour, would this be enough to dilute the existing chemicals?

Thanks for any help.

Is the SWG unit alarming and shutting down? If the current is below 8 amps, it should be ok and I would leave it alone. The salt will lower with splash out and rain overflow.

Keep in mind when adding salt, especially the initial large dose, it can take a few days for it to mix thoroughly and the SWCG reading to settle (assuming pump running 24/7 during this time).

I never seen CYA impact the SWCG reading.

I would not trust the Aquapure to give an accurate salt reading. I know that sounds crazy, but my Aquapure was reading higher salt as well. But, I used the K1766 salt test and also had a pool store test as well for comparison. The K1766 and pool store were close and where I thought it should be. There is a way to calibrate the Aquapure down the the realistic level, as long as you have a couple of independent tests verifying the salt level. You can find the procedure if you search on this forum.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.