Hiram, GA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
My salt levels are rising and my chlorine level has dropped, after a few heavy rains. All of my other levels have remained stable and in line with the pool math. There is a beige film on my steps and on the skimmer basket. (I'm guessing it's on the liner too). I'm still running the pump at 50% chlorinator for about 8 hours a day. I am filtering a lot of leaves right now. But, I empty the baskets and the polaris daily.

We cleaned the salt cell (even though it didn't look dirty) and it has ran about 4 hours. It looks as though the salt level went up another 100 ppm. Could my salt cell be bad? The water temp is running in the 60's. It runs at night some when the freeze features comes on. It seems like my chlorine levels should be getting higher. It is just my second summer as a pool owner. The 1st year was basically trouble free.

Any ideas on what to check or do?

A salt cell creates chlorine from salt at the cell, and then after chlorine is burned off, salt is added back to your pool. Your levels are not increasing and probably either testing error (with a kit) or the cell will vary from time to time. There could be nothing wrong with your cell.

What are you testing your water with, and how much chlorine are you consuming on daily basis? What does your water look like? You have to do a little investigative work before determining that your salt cell is bad.

How cold is your water and *is* you salt cell still producing?

If too cold the SWG won't work and you'll have to resort to using liquid chlorine (aka "bleach") for best results.

Beige film sounds like algae to me.

Can you tell us:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

That will help us a lot. Thanks :)

Maddie :flower:

Fc = 6
tc = 6
ph = 7.7
TA = 70
CYA = 80

I'm getting the salt reading from my pool system. It's reading 3700 ppm. I usually keep it about 3500 give or take. I'm using a Taylor Kit. It's 50 degrees outside and my water temp is 58 degrees. The water looks fine. It's just the light film on the filter baskets and the steps. It is easy to wipe off.

I don't trust mechanical devices to give accurate salt reads. I only trust my salt test kit (Taylor K-1766). Too many people have trusted the SWG console and later found it was entirely off and they had already added a mess of salt to later regret it.

I would suggest getting that test kit and also dealing with your algae using liquid chlorine. Your SWG won't (or isn't) going to be working for long in this colder weather.

So, should I just turn the pump off and add some bleach? I have a Taylor salt kit too. I'll check it with that. I didn't realize the SWG didn't make chlorine in colder weather.

So, should I just turn the pump off and add some bleach? I have a Taylor salt kit too. I'll check it with that. I didn't realize the SWG didn't make chlorine in colder weather.

The PUMP needs to be running 24/7 when adding bleach during a SLAM. You also will need a proper test kit (see below). How is your water clarity, algae, etc.? Adding bleach with the pump off will damage your liner. The pump needs to be running at least for an hour or greater depending on circulation during normal additions.

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Pool School - Test Kits Compared

TFTestkits.net

So, at what temp does the SWG quit working? After adding bleach, how long should I run my pump? You live a little south of me. Do you leave your pool uncovered in the winter?

So, at what temp does the SWG quit working? After adding bleach, how long should I run my pump? You live a little south of me. Do you leave your pool uncovered in the winter?

The SWG stops running somewhere between 60 and 55 degrees water temp. Differs by manufacturer.

My pool has an autocover so I open and shut it ad lib. I do run my pump daily in the winter for 2-3 hours a day to keep things mixed up and skim the surface. I test every 2-3 weeks in winter, and will add bleach as required, but in that cold weather it isn't all that often that it requires anything.

My pool is balanced now, so it won't need much anything other than occasional bleach in winter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Added some bleach, Beautiful! One more question, when you run your pump in the winter, is your generator running?

Added some bleach, Beautiful! One more question, when you run your pump in the winter, is your generator running?

My SWG can be turned off entirely, but it also has a "winter setting" where whatever percentage you previously set it will be cut in half. So for example if I normally have it going at 10% in the fall it will supposedly go down to 5%. As to whether it is actually making any chlorine at that rate/in cold water is questionable? I just dose with bleach in cold weather. Turning it off is the best idea...anything to extend its life a bit longer, y'know?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.