Salt for feel in a manual dosed pool

Aug 18, 2018
Dieppe New Brunswick
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I was going to experiment by adding 1000ppm salt to my non SWG pool. Went to the pool store to get a salt reading. They say it is already 661 ppm Salt....
Using Web based Pool Math my CSI is -0.03. Do I add 15$ worth of salt or just leave it alone.
PH 7.6 / TA 110 / CH / 220 / CL 6 / Borates 50 / Temp 88-90°F /

Salt accumulates in a pool. It's a byproduct of chlorine, acid, humans, etc., and it doesn't evaporate. It only leaves the pool from splash out, rain overflow or periodic water replacement. The salt level will continue to rise, whether you add any or not. The more you add, the sooner you'll have to remove it when its level gets to be more than you want.

The more you add, the sooner you'll have to remove it when its level gets to be more than you want.
We don't ever have to drain because of salt in the northeast. The rain exchange far outpaces the chemical byproduct addition of salt.

I have this theory that my rainwater exchange is more efficient for removing salt because my overflow port is located in a separate well that is connected to the pool via an equalizer tube, which is about 3' below the surface. The fresh rainwater floats on top, and "pushes" the heavier saltwater out of the tube, from below, as opposed to pools with overflow holes in their edge tile, which would serve to drain some of the oh-so-good fresh water out before it mixes in. Just a theory, but it seems to work in my pool. Helps with my CH accumulation, too.

Reactions: Newdude
I do have to lower the pool when I close for winter. Come spring I also have to lower. No overflows built in.
In the spring I take of the rain and snow melt. That way I keep some stabilizer. I found if I dropped the sump pump to the bottom of the deep end I would not have CYA left in the pool.

Since my salt is going to accumulate anyway, I will just let it and not bother adding 68 lb.

Adam, what salt level are you targeting? using pool math, i get about 250ppm increase for 50 lb salt. I would hazard a guess that you would need at least 2000pm salt to get a noticeable feel. Good on you for testing first. When I converted from bcil to chlorine, i used a ton of liquid chlorine and did not realize how much salt i had added. I wanted to add salt for the feel. So I added an amount to get me to 2000 assuming i had zero. oops. You might consider adding 50 lb salt and see how that feels. if you cant tell, add 50 more. of course if you dont like what you get, dont add any more. duh. just an idea.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.