New Jersey
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
This is my salt cell, it was here when we bought the house 3.5 years ago, but by the looks of it, its much older than that. I can't make out any dates or anything as the labels are pretty faded.

1650910921331.png

For the past 3 years we had a pool guy maintaining the pool for us. Last year we had pretty cloudy water and a some algae which he treated as it came. This year we are doing our own maintenance, and one thing I wanted to do given its age and how long it has been since it must have last been cone (if ever) is clean the salt cell. The fitting on the left I can remove no problem, however the one on the right will not come off. I started with a strap wrench and nothing, bought and tried channel lock pvc pliers and it still won't budge. The threads are mangled from supposedly when the last person to try and remove it (Or maybe put it on which explains a lot). I tried PB Blaster into the threads, boiling water on then outside while running cold water through the cell, even getting overly-violent with a hammer to try and break it up.

At this point I've accepted I'll probably need a new cell even if I get it off without destroying it, however I'm not even sure how I could get it off in a way I can plumb a new one in. It looks like its been replaced once before given the fitting to the right of the cell, but that does not leave me any extra space to join any new sections of pvc into if I have to cut something. At this point my only idea is that i'd have to cut the pipe flush with the right side of the flow sensor and replace the entire run.

You're right. That's a tight spot. You might be able to cut the PVC against the flow switch and leave just enough of a stub-out form the 3-way to allow for a coupling or future flow switch. Or consider a vertical SWG install which would give you a little more breathing room.

You're right. That's a tight spot. You might be able to cut the PVC against the flow switch and leave just enough of a stub-out form the 3-way to allow for a coupling or future flow switch. Or consider a vertical SWG install which would give you a little more breathing room.
Yeah, initially I was thinking I would have to cut the 3 way out and replace it, and the two 90 bends but while writing the post It looks like I can probably cut flush with the flow switch and have enough space to butt the new flow switch up against the 3 way valve, and just use a longer section of pvc between the new salt cell and the new flow switch. My other idea before cutting the whole thing off it attempting to cut the threaded end off the salt cell with a hacksaw, detach it that way, then cut the inside of the threaded section with some channels and break the fitting from the inside, hopefully saving the outside so I can just screw a new salt cell in place, but I'm afraid it might be stuck due to glue or damage to the outer "nut" part which won't seal nicely to the new cell.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Verris, apologies if you've thought of this already but just wanted make sure you are spinning the unions in opposite directions and realizing that they are on the pipe and not the cell. Orientation is tricky for anyone's first time.

the one on the right spins with the whole salt cell, but won't unthread. Even with the 12 inch channel lock pvc/oil filter pliers
You may need to grip the unit with the channel locks and use a 2nd pair to break the union free.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.