Damascus, MD
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
I tested the salinity of my 55 degree water yesterday at 2000ppm. Would that 2000ppm go up or down as the water temperature increases? Per pool math I need to add 6 40lb bags of salt to get to 3000ppm. I of course would probably add 4, test and see how much more I need.

With all the rain we had over winter in Maryland I would suspect the salt level to be low and in that range.

I pumped water out of my pool 4 times over winter probably about 25% of pool water was pumped out.

I used the K-1766 test kit. Appears it was accurate I added 160lbs and it is reading what it should for that addition and the SWG salinity meter is very close. I took the sample at 55 and set it in the house for 1/2 an hour. Not sure what the temp was when I actually performed the test. No biggie water is almost there.

Reactions: Teald024
Changes in temp will not affect the K1766 salt test. 2000ppm salt at 55oF will still be 2000ppm salt at 85oF. What does change is density or electropotential. As the temp warms up, hydrometers or electronic salt meters that do not compensate for the rising temperature will start to read higher than normal.

Edit: Ops, got that wrong. As the temp increases electropotential increases, density decreases.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.