Saline pool eating away at chicago brick

Hi All, I have a small inground saline pool in South Florida that is surrounded by a Chicago brick patio. Where the bricks come right up to the edge of the pool (there's no other material - travertine, concrete, etc.). both the brick and the mortar are disintegrating. Consequently, I get lots of brick pebbles and granules in my filter and all over my pool floor. Is there some kind of coating or overlay I can apply to the one row of bricks at the edge of the pool (the rest of the patio is in good shape), or perhaps some kind of cowling that can be installed and epoxied over the top of to create a smooth ledge that would also protect the brick? Or would the only real solution be to remove that row of bricks and replace with a more durable material?

Hm, I have a pool guy at the moment, so I don't know those particulars. I'll try to intercept him when he next comes around. About the only thing I know is that the salt cell is reading 2800ppm, which is about normal. However, this is an issue that has been going on for years - what in particular would you be looking for from the chem test?

A water based sealer might help keep them from disintegrating. I have pavers surrounding my pool and have been searching for a decent sealer, unfortunately I haven't tested any of them out yet to give you any recommendations.

If the sealer doesn't work you could have that row removed and have something else installed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.