Seacoast, NH
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
We are going to be babysitting our 3 year old Granddaughter over night for several days this summer at our house. She also comes to visit for the day with her parents periodically. Last summer she loved the pool, but was not strong enough/coordinated enough to get through the baby gate at the door of the room she sleeps in, the deadbolted back door, and the locked screen door. This year she's much more nimble, adventuresome, and all the other good stuff that 3 yr olds are. She happily opens any door she can and she thinks she can swim, which she can't yet.

I want to be sure that she can't get to the pool in the middle of the night when we're asleep and that, when we're awake, she can't slip out without us knowing it.

We're thinking of a doorknob alarm that goes off if the doorknob is turned and a tall baby gate at the top of the stairs of the deck.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a different product or for a brand for either item?

Thanks.

I would add an extra layer of protection at each potential point of entry. Keyed deadbolt on the door as described above, and wear the key around your neck under your clothes, gate for the stairs and no going downstairs without grandma or grandpa, chain and padlock for the outside gate and again wear the key 24/7. Also move any furniture she can push up to the pool fence and climb over to get in.

This may well be more protection than you are looking for, but my husband and I have young children and had a Katchakid safety net installed when we moved into our home this fall. We wanted a way to ensure that even a disobedient child who tried to defeat our fence couldn’t fall into the pool. We still keep back doors bolted, a baby gate on the deck and fence gates closed, but the net adds a whole extra level of security. It must be kept on the pool, of course, and those for whom it would be too difficult to pull it off or put it on (there is definitely bending involved) would not be good candidates. I did want to mention a safety net as an option, though, since my husband and I really appreciate ours.

I know this post is a bit old, but wanted to add the for anyone who may search it in the future.

I (personally) am a bit fearful of double keyed deadbolts. I don't want my family stuck in the event they need to get out in an emergency and need to find a key. My solution was a chain latch at about 6.5 feet. This way no kids could reach, but we could. Still doesn't help the kids get out in an emergency, but I liked it better.

I also think door alarms are a great option.

I (personally) am a bit fearful of double keyed deadbolts. I don't want my family stuck in the event they need to get out in an emergency and need to find a key. My solution was a chain latch at about 6.5 feet. This way no kids could reach, but we could. Still doesn't help the kids get out in an emergency, but I liked it better.

Everyone in my family knows that the deadbolt key it on the hook at x place. Currently in the decorated dish on the bookshelf built to surround the door. No problem finding it!

I am more concerned with little people or neighbors seeing where I hide the autocover key.... lol. Just imagining a neighborhood pool party when we're out of town!

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.