SafeStep 7300 - safe form of calcium?

MasterTinkerer

Gold Supporter
Nov 28, 2016
Helena, AL
Down south, we don’t have de-icer as a regular commodity, so I had a visitor from the great white north stop by Lowe’s and bring me a bag of it during a recent visit.

The product I received was SafeStep 7300.

The MSDS bothers me... it says that the composition is 60-100% Calcium Chloride.

Safe Step® Extreme 7300 Calcium Chloride MSDS | MsdsDigital.com | Search our SDS online database free | Material Safety Data Sheet

Is it safe to use this in my pool to bump the CH? I’m concerned about the other possibly 40 percent of ingredients...

4d0e8002f874d6e928aa7f677172cd75.jpg

Ice melt is typically a mixture of calcium chloride dihydrate and either regular salt (sodium chloride) or magnesium chloride or both. Honestly, I’ve never liked or recommended the use of ice-melt or road deicer because it’s never pure calcium and the cheap products will often have silica sand mixed in.

You may just need to splurge for the “good stuff” - pure calcium chloride or CH-Up products. Wait for a sale in the pool store or a nice coupon deal and then buy it by the 25 lbs pail.

Ice melt is typically a mixture of calcium chloride dihydrate and either regular salt (sodium chloride) or magnesium chloride or both. Honestly, I’ve never liked or recommended the use of ice-melt or road deicer because it’s never pure calcium and the cheap products will often have silica sand mixed in.

You may just need to splurge for the “good stuff” - pure calcium chloride or CH-Up products. Wait for a sale in the pool store or a nice coupon deal and then buy it by the 25 lbs pail.

Same thing I was thinking. I used it in the hot tub because the water is going to get swapped out every so often anyway... and 250 gallons is a lot less risk than 30k gallons! Haven’t seen any negative side effects. But I’ll buy the real stuff for the pool.

I would bet a box of Dunkin Donuts Munchkins that the balance is nothing more than sodium chloride. But for a pool, I say go “top shelf” and get the good stuff...

I would bet a box of Dunkin Donuts Munchkins that the balance is nothing more than sodium chloride. But for a pool, I say go “top shelf” and get the good stuff...

I did a bit of research on it when I initially got it. I think that the 7300 refers to 73% calcium chloride. They also sell an 8300... which is more pure (83%). I seem to remember one more after that.

Anyway, the local hardware has a 25# tub for $32. Guess I’ll pick one up

Here is what I use and have had no problems in my 28,000 gal pool.

Edit: Did not see the link from BasicTek before I posted so what BasicTek said above but I will add that I bought from an Amazon seller that just fulfilled my order from Walmart so it may be cheaper from Walmart.

Snow Joe MELT50CCP

Its also available from Amazon as well for about the same price.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.