RV antifreeze.

VinnyFindley

May 23, 2020
Cranston, RI
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Just read through first 5 pages. Was curious about pumping the RV antifreeze into the pool in spring as the cause to my spring start up problems the last few years. Blow all the lines out and then add the antifreeze. About 96oz fills the skimmer to the filter then put the gizmo in. The 2 return lines I add 4 gallons into the return which splits into 2 lines. When I open in spring I just let it flow into the pool. Last 2 spring start ups were not good. This year was horrible. 0 CYA and chlorine. MY cover is solid. I keep leaves off of the cover and pump the cover when there is about 2 inches of water on it.

Your antifreeze isn't going to cause a problem in the pool. It's either alcohol or propylene glycol, neither of which will cause any issues or consume chlorine.

Anyplace that's cold is going to have 0ppm CYA in the the spring, and anytime you don't add chlorine for months it's going to be 0ppm as well.

There is a slight possibility that bacterial activity in the pool could be creating ammonia over the winter which can consume chlorine rapidly upon opening, but the symptoms would be fairly obvious in the insane chlorine consumption.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.