Rut-roh...pool vacuum return protruding too far

Heliman500

Nov 19, 2020
Rescue, CA
does anyone have solutions for fixing a pool sweep connection that was gunited too far out?

Maybe chisel out surrounding gunite, cut off pipe, and glue new slip connection on? Wondering if there are any shorter, low profile, return slip connections?

Or just leave as is.
Thanks in advance

E568F56A-55EE-4F73-95E3-F71A7AA99BE8.jpeg

Are you in the process of building this pool or is it a replaster job? Generally once the pool has the final plaster finish the pool company will adjust the length of the pipe and install the new fitting. You should not need to do anything if that is the case.

Are you in the process of building this pool or is it a replaster job? Generally once the pool has the final plaster finish the pool company will adjust the length of the pipe and install the new fitting. You should not need to do anything if that is the case.
Hi Zea,
This is new construction I am the owner builder. The picture isn’t very clear, but under the mash of gunite there is a 1.5” slip to thread adapter glued to 1.5” pipe. I’m thinking we would need to cut off and install a new one pre-plaster, however, I do just want to make sure before I go to that effort.
Thank you!

My thought is as the builder, don't you know? And next....why are you installing outdated vacuum lines when robots are the newer, better way to clean the pool up? Not only that but a good robot uses far, far less electricity and will scrub the walls up to the water line for you.

Maddie :flower:

My thought is as the builder, don't you know? And next....why are you installing outdated vacuum lines when robots are the newer, better way to clean the pool up? Not only that but a good robot uses far, far less electricity and will scrub the walls up to the water line for you.

Maddie :flower:
@YippeeSkippy
Thank you Maddie.
As the owner builder I am the responsible party for ensuring that each of the sub trades I contract to complete their work to industry standard best practices and IAW with manufactures recommendations and building code. However, as I am sure you’ll agree, there are many ways to skin a cat, and there are also many instances where individual trades end up pointing fingers at each other playing pass the buck. This scenario is a perfect example. This forum has a wealth of knowledge and expertise and I couldn’t think of a better place to ask and bounce around ideas. We will likely be using an electric robotic cleaner however it’s nice to have the option for an old trusty pressure cleaner. I ran a Polaris 360 for 7 years at my last pool and it didn’t let me down once, apart from a couple worn out bags. I wish I could say the same about the robotic cleaner I reluctantly purchased to replace it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.