Henry M

Silver Supporter
Oct 7, 2015
Coral Springs, Florida
As I hope the attached photos illustrate: rust is beginning to appear at the point where the horizontal stainless steel steps are bolted onto the vertical railing. Naval jelly removed the rust from one of the steps I took out. Is there any sort of rust preventative product I should apply before I reattach the step? Any method for preventing rus? Thanks very much.

Henry Milton

Attachments

• ladder 1 .jpg
    ladder 1 .jpg
    308.7 KB · Views: 22
  • ladder 2.jpg
    ladder 2.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 22
  • step .JPG
    step .JPG
    786.4 KB · Views: 21
Once SS starts to rust, it’s not really going to get better for the long term. It’s apparently made with low quality SS. There are several varieties. What you have is not the one you want as you probably surmised.

Thanks very much for your reply. You're mostly likely correct: The pool was built in 1977, so the SS may be past its prime. The railings are actually in pretty good shape, which is good, because they are anchored in cement on the pool deck & difficult to replace. Looked on line at places that sell steps for pool ladders, but cannot find any of the correct size to replace the existing ones. Am assuming plastic will be better (?). So . . . . what options should I consider at this point? Again, many thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.