Rust at skimmer box - repair or wait?

I have rusting occurring at my skimmer box. I thought it was maybe that someone didn’t use stainless steel screws, but now when I look at it I see that it’s coming from behind that face plate for the skimmer. I’m kind of wondering if perhaps there’s a metal wall behind it which is rusting out. Our liner is in so-so condition and will probably need to be replaced in a couple years if not sooner.

Is it worth taking this apart this season or best just to leave it and address it when we do the liner? I’m notorious for “looking into something“ only to get in over my head and have it become a huge project I didn’t plan on having. I really don’t want that to happen!

Thanks for any advice you can give!

Attachments

• B2B6E4D3-14B6-4839-B720-B6A2367DB7E9.jpeg
    B2B6E4D3-14B6-4839-B720-B6A2367DB7E9.jpeg
    566.2 KB · Views: 21
  • E8CB3441-E80A-4466-8A45-0B8708D80705.jpeg
    E8CB3441-E80A-4466-8A45-0B8708D80705.jpeg
    381.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 2340BA2D-C436-4565-8F8B-B1450C3E73AE.jpeg
    2340BA2D-C436-4565-8F8B-B1450C3E73AE.jpeg
    387.2 KB · Views: 22
I see water is below skimmer, did you drain on purpose, you may have a leak in the gasket around the skimmer. Do you know that you do have metal walls? When was liner changed last, when did this start to occur?
Sorry, I should have been more clear. I am opening it, so the water level was down from winterization.

I do believe the walls are metal, but haven't ever seen them. The liner is at least 10 years old. I remember seeing it a bit when we bought the house 7 years ago and I foolishly ignored it; I didn't really know what I was doing.

Well good thing is water is below skimmer. I am not an expert but I would think you have a leak. I would buy a new gasket for the skimmer and replace it, you could even get a peak at the walls while you are at it. there should be foam between the wall and the liner to help protect the liner. but get it sealed up and cleaned up. There may be some damage to wall but if it feels solid I would just get it sealed up and cleaned up and deal with the damage, if there is any, when you replace the liner. You could call a professional in but he would probably want to replace the liner now. That would cost about $4,000 not counting any repair to wall and I think a little rustoleum paint may be good enough. May even be able to dry wall off while changing gasket and shoot some paint on it now. 10 years is about the time lifespan of a liner. Let me know how it turns out. If you are going to change gasket yourself I would drain down a few more inches.

I’m notorious for “looking into something“ only to get in over my head and have it become a huge project I didn’t plan on having
I promise you whatever is happening is happening, whether you address it or stick your head in the sand. In the case of rust, it is probably happening exponentially. I get not wanting the big headache now. I do, really I do. But at what cost in a year or two ? You very well could end up with unrepairable wall damage.

Lemme page @jimmythegreek also

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.