Running two filters?

Jul 9, 2010
Bixby oklahoma
I see everyone upgrading to sand filters ,which I'd love to do one day, but can't afford it right now. I just bought a 22' that comes with the 2500 cartridge filter pump. I also have another 2500 cartridge filter from our old pool. Anyone see any problem with using both and have one do the skimming and vac, and the other just general filtering.

Not sure what happened to my previous reply. Skimming removes debris from the surface, filtering removes particles from the water. Not the same thing. I have been running dual pumps/filters for four years without any issues whatsoever. Works great, doubles the filter capacity and cuts the running time in half.

Works great, doubles the filter capacity and cuts the running time in half.
But, of course, doubles your purchase cost, doubles your maintenance, doubles your plumbing, doubles the space required. etc.

Skimming is for skimmers....not filters. No matter how you cut it, two filters doing the same job will do no better than 1 adequate filter doing that job. Please don't split fine hairs, both your filters remove debris from the water and really do it no better than a large single filter will do.

Foster400 is asking about how to make best use of the equipment he already has. He already has the two pumps, thus no extra purchase cost, whereas he can't afford buying a bigger pump/filter. Connecting one of the pumps/filters to the skimmer and using the other for additional filtration is a great idea. Of course it doubles the plumbing and one more filter to clean, that goes without saying.

Woodyp seemed confused about what was meant by skimming vs filtration, thus I wanted to clarify. Don't think that is splitting hairs.

Reactions: AliasAllison916
Skimming removes debris from the surface, filtering removes particles from the water. Not the same thing.
Very few particles are removed from the "water" other than that from skimming and vacuuming. This is because any particle that remains suspended in the water will need to be much smaller than about 2 microns in size which cannot be filtered out by a pool filter anyway. Larger particles that can be filter out of water will either float or sink. So the best way to remove these particles is to either skim or vacuum.

i am using 2 pumps on my pool. the only difference is i am using the cartridge filter that came with the pool as a pump for my solar heater. my main pump is for the skimming. i was actually kinda shocked when i checked the cartridge filter yesterday that it had quite a bit of small stuff on it. it is hooked up to one of the existing outlets in the pool. so it is about 24" below the water level that i try to keep

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was thinking the same thing. I have a 24ft pool. I have the cartridge filter, and I just purchased the sand filter. I have the two inlets that come to the T connection, and I just purchased the single fittings. I was thinking of running them both at the same time (not all the time, but for many hours at once) when running lets say the automatic vacuum.. I figure run the sand filter with the auto vacuum and skimmer, and then the cartridge to continue to clean up the water or vice versa.. Or when vacuuming. I mean, I am trying to understand from reading through this thread, since those tubes are smaller on the inlets, will restricting to one inlet on each cause any damage to the pumps? The sand filter is rated to 3000gph, and I think the cartridge is 2500gph.

I run a skimmer connected to a 1HP American Commander 25 i picked up for free and I also have a 2500gallon Intex filter I run... Ever since I Added the skimmer, The intex filter RARELY gets changed.
Yes it does still collect stuff, but I rarely change the filter as much. My pool has never been so clean since I started RUNNING both. I have both hooked up to a switch on the deck.. Flip switch, they come on.
I run them when I want. I dont even have to step outside the patio door to flip switch. Its only a 16x48 pool, and i have overkill.. But I Have NEVER EVER EVER had any issues with keeping my pool clean.
I vacuum once inawhile when necessary. I have people come over and they always say.. I"ll never have a a pool again...CHEMICALS< and ALGAGE and CLEANING etc etc etc.. I tell them about this site and that All i use now is BLEACH and they Don't believe me at first. lol...

i get the same reply all the time, I cannot believe you only use bleach. i say well every now and then i have to use a little muriatic acid, and some stabilizer. they are just totally shocked. one of my friends came over for Memorial Day, and he was shocked. he spends over $100 a month to have someone come out and dump a bunch of unnecessary in his pool and it does not look as clear as mine. i told him about this site. he called me today and said he fired his pool company and he was gonna be following TFP method. He said he went to Wally and bought some bleach on 6 gallons of bleach. he said he did a partial drain of his pool, and refilled. now he is just trying to get all the chemicals out so he can start the new way.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.