Running a Kreepy Krawler with a solar cover

Sammy2

Aug 30, 2016
Riverside, CA
I've been considering getting a solar cover for our pool. It is perfect for it too being a rectangle with no curved sections. My question is, how well does the cleaner work with the cover on? The hoses to my suction side Kreepy Krawler get hung up if we leave floating rafts in the pool so I'm concerned they will not allow the cleaner to move. Of course if the pool is covered maybe you don't need to run the cleaner.. HMM..

A Kreepy Krauly is a suction side cleaner, not a robot. The Kreepy Krauly hose might get hung up a bit on the solar cover.

A robot has a small diameter low voltage power cord from the in water unit to a properly grounded, bonded and GFCI protected 110v outlet near the pool. The robots plug plugs into 110v, the 110v power is converted to low voltage and sent to the cleaner via the power cord.

In either case, you shouldn't need to run either cleaner as much because the cover will keep out a good amount of the debris - well, except if the Santa Ana winds kick up by you.

7261155748_a6efaffd16_z.jpg

If needing to use the Kreepy Krauly, you can always pull the solar cover off during the day while the cleaner is in use - this will help minimize heat loss. Be sure to put some type of cover over the solar cover if it isn't on the pool so the sun doesn't beat on it when off the water. Most solar covers I've had come with a thin plastic tarp like cover.

A Kreepy Krauly is a suction side cleaner, not a robot. The Kreepy Krauly hose might get hung up a bit on the solar cover.

A robot has a small diameter low voltage power cord from the in water unit to a properly grounded, bonded and GFCI protected 110v outlet near the pool. The robots plug plugs into 110v, the 110v power is converted to low voltage and sent to the cleaner via the power cord.

In either case, you shouldn't need to run either cleaner as much because the cover will keep out a good amount of the debris - well, except if the Santa Ana winds kick up by you.

7261155748_a6efaffd16_z.jpg

If needing to use the Kreepy Krauly, you can always pull the solar cover off during the day while the cleaner is in use - this will help minimize heat loss. Be sure to put some type of cover over the solar cover if it isn't on the pool so the sun doesn't beat on it when off the water. Most solar covers I've had come with a thin plastic tarp like cover.

WOW! That is very familiar.. Looks like my hometown or maybe Redlands. For whatever reason, the area I'm in doesn't get as strong of winds as most of this area but we get those clear days.

If I were to get a solar cover, I'd not want to have to remove it except when we were going to use the pool. The Spa Cascades into the pool over tile "steps" so that might be of concern too in keeping the cover in place so maybe this idea won't work so well.

That said, we heated the pool to 84 the last two weekends and today it is 63. The last few days have been rainy and cold but the sun's out bright again today and after a brief cooldown this weekend we're heading back up to 80's and 90's next week. We lost all that heat and the $$$ associated with bringing it on too. A solar cover may have helped somewhat but how much, I do not know.

My Kreepy runs quite well under the cover - no problems other than the hose occasionally causing water from the spa spillway to run over top of the cover. I fixed that by putting a pool noodle under the cover next to the spillway cutout and it's golden.

I found that I got a goodly amount of debris in the water even with the cover on - there is enough of a little gap around the edges that leaves can get in, so I usually let the Kreepy run even with the cover on.@

WOW! That is very familiar.. Looks like my hometown or maybe Redlands. For whatever reason, the area I'm in doesn't get as strong of winds as most of this area but we get those clear days.

If I were to get a solar cover, I'd not want to have to remove it except when we were going to use the pool. The Spa Cascades into the pool over tile "steps" so that might be of concern too in keeping the cover in place so maybe this idea won't work so well.

That said, we heated the pool to 84 the last two weekends and today it is 63. The last few days have been rainy and cold but the sun's out bright again today and after a brief cooldown this weekend we're heading back up to 80's and 90's next week. We lost all that heat and the $$$ associated with bringing it on too. A solar cover may have helped somewhat but how much, I do not know.

I grew up in Fontana in the 60's and early 70's. We usually got the winds first there. I still remember walking northbound to junior high in those 50-60 mph winds.

Trip's suggestion of a cut out and pool noodle in the area near the spa spillover sounds like it would work well. And, if the spillway isn't on full blast, any water that does make its way on to the solar cofer should drain off fairly quickly.

You may wish to post a pic of the pool and of the spillway area. Someone else may have additional suggestions on solar cover fitment.

While you may gain a few degrees during the day, the biggest benefit is the heat retension at night.

@proavia I don't know when you're last time here was but since the steel mill moved out you can see Fontana from Riverside where I live in the summertime now. Back then? Stage 3 Smog Alert!

I'll post pics when I can. Guess I need to cough up a donation to TFP to do that.

@proavia I don't know when you're last time here was but since the steel mill moved out you can see Fontana from Riverside where I live in the summertime now. Back then? Stage 3 Smog Alert!

I'll post pics when I can. Guess I need to cough up a donation to TFP to do that.

The smog really didn't have that much to do with Kaiser. Oh sure, they certainly contributed to it. But their demise isn't the reason for the air quality improvement. Even when the steel workers were on strike in 1972, the smog stayed on - except when the winds blew. My dad worked there and I remember after the strike, all plant workers were given a book of pictures taken looking north, south, east and west. Amazing to see the pollution still was there with most of the plant idle.
Strikes, smog, and steel A History of Total Health | Kaiser Permanente History Blog
Hmm, wish I knew where his copy of the book went.

I drive thru at least once or twice a year. Big difference in pollution, population - and warehouses... And no more Mazzulli's pizza either. :(

Yup, great idea making a donation here. And it's tax deductible too.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.