Role of plants/vegetation/trees near pool?

Where are you at, what is your target and how much did you put in a sock and toss in the skimmer ??
Or , , how much water are you draining ??

I feel the same way about the mesquite tree near our pool. It provides nice afternoon shade but it is a constant source of pool debris. In February, after all the needles dropped, my suction line got clogged up (that was before I installed an in-line leaf trap on the KK). I was so mad I almost got out the chainsaw ... then my wife reminded me that most of the tree resides in my neighbors yard.

We had a HUGE mesquite (about 2' diameter) between our house and pool. Great for shade, HORRIBLE for the pool. Within a year of being in the house, that tree became a stump :D

We had a HUGE mesquite (about 2' diameter) between our house and pool. Great for shade, HORRIBLE for the pool. Within a year of being in the house, that tree became a stump :D

Yeah, I'm almost there. I need to install some retractable patio screens to block the western setting sun light through the side door to our pool which that mesquite tree does for us now. Once I do that, then I'm going chainsaw every branch that crosses my property line....and I might "accidentally" spill some really nasty chemicals by the roots.....

My in-laws have an even bigger mesquite that is just in the neighbors yard .... their pool is always a mess. It is so big though that trimming the branches over the property line would required a big cherry picker and the wind would still blow everything over anyway.

They get so much shade, that even with a small solar heating setup, their pool is the coldest of all the pools serviced by the company they hired (they are not interesting in learning from me :hammer: ... you would think now that FIL is retired and bored he would be more willing to maintain the pool himself).

Yeah, I'm almost there. I need to install some retractable patio screens to block the western setting sun light through the side door to our pool which that mesquite tree does for us now. Once I do that, then I'm going chainsaw every branch that crosses my property line....and I might "accidentally" spill some really nasty chemicals by the roots.....

I had a similar problem with another pecan tree on a different neighbor's property. That tree was larger than the ones I'm dealing with now and its branches came over my property line and would have covered about half of my pool.

Before I planned to trim my neighbor's tree I let him know what I planned to do and we ended up splitting the cost of removing the tree altogether. A great result. He was tired of it too!

FWIW, I would talk to the neighbor before cutting his tree (even though it extends over your property). If it were my tree I'd want it trimmed properly vs. being "topped" at the property line.

I had a similar problem with another pecan tree on a different neighbor's property. That tree was larger than the ones I'm dealing with now and its branches came over my property line and would have covered about half of my pool.

Before I planned to trim my neighbor's tree I let him know what I planned to do and we ended up splitting the cost of removing the tree altogether. A great result. He was tired of it too!

FWIW, I would talk to the neighbor before cutting his tree (even though it extends over your property). If it were my tree I'd want it trimmed properly vs. being "topped" at the property line.

No worries, I was only joking (I should have indicated that).

Actually I have a number of trees on my properties, mostly mesquites and some cottonwoods, that are just growing every which way but pretty. I was actually thinking of calling up a local tree surgeon company to come give me a quote on fixing some old trees that the previous owners NEVER properly cared for.

As for that mesquite, it's actually a little questionable as to whose property it officially sits on as there is an easement between our walls. It's closer to his side but I'm sure he'd same the same. If I do anything with those trees, I'd give him a heads up no doubt just to "keep the peace"...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.