Rocky Beginning...

So I had the local pool store out to install the new pump. Tech told me that my filter wasn't big enough, and the pump would either make it take off like a rocket, or cause it to "implode" (his word, I think he meant explode). Anyhow, I'm not a fan of the cartridge filter, and felt like this was a great excuse to buy (or look into) a DE filter. And while he was at it, I had him price out a saltwater generator too. And he wanted to clean up all the plumbing. So after pricing all of this out, he comes back and tells me it comes to $5200 :shock:. So after sending him on his way, I pulled the pump motor out, and started looking for a replacement that didn't have the pool store markup. Found a local pump shop, and they noticed that my seal plate was melted where the seal presses in, indicating the old pump was run dry at some point. And the plate was cracked around the bolt sleeves, and the sleeves were pulling out. They had a used seal plate, took it home, and realized that it wasn't right. Had them order the correct one, but in the meantime got on a plane for a business trip. So finally, last night, I got the new pump motor installed and the pool equipment running again. I'll probably do an OCLT tomorrow night, to see if anything reared it's ugly head over the last couple weeks.

I do still want to do everything that was priced out, but don't want to pay those prices. I am thinking of picking up a used DE filter, and maybe a salt generator. I'm fully capable of working with PVC (and even electrical) to install this equipment myself. I was only having the pump done by someone else to lock in the warranty. Any advice or tips on picking up used equipment? is it better to get the generator new, to get a warranty? I'm not fully familiar with them. Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.