Robot with 100+ foot cord

BPKlein

Bronze Supporter
Jun 4, 2016
Lake Dallas, Texas
Hello,

We are currently shopping for a robot. The problem is that we need a really long cord. What is on the market with a 100 foot cord? A 75 foot cord is just not long enough to get from the closest outlet to the far end of the pool.

ThankYou,
Bryan

As long as the cord going to the robot is long enough to reach from wherever you place the controller to the farthest end of the pool, it won't drag the controller anywhere. I'm not sure if it could even then, and certainly not if you have the controller mounted to the caddy as I do. When the robot is fully submerged, it has a perceived weight of about 2lbs--very easy to pull across the pool or to the surface via the cable.

Of course, once it gets to the surface, you grab that handle and lift, it suddenly becomes about 50 lbs. :)

My pool isn't huge (16x28), but I set the controller up about 6 or 7' from the middle of it, and probably 2/3 of my 60' cable stays out of the pool for the entire cycle.

I wouldn't use an extension cord as it could certainly create a major safety hazard. Instead, consider extending the existing outlet using conduit, placing a new GFCI protected outlet closer to the pool. Check your local codes for their requirements. Be aware, there is a minimum distance from the pool edge that the outlet must be. Select a location that will keep the controller out of the elements - or make a cover ot enclosure for it.

Reactions: BowserB
Geko, I guess I need to look more. The ones I have seen have the cord go directly from the outlet to the cleaner. I haven’t seen one where the cord goes from the outlet to a controller, and then onto the cleaner.

Proavia, Adding an outlet is not an option. I already have an outlet twelve feet from the side of the pool. that is as close as we can get. That plus a pool that is 62 feet long is where my problem lies.

Geko, I guess I need to look more. The ones I have seen have the cord go directly from the outlet to the cleaner. I haven’t seen one where the cord goes from the outlet to a controller, and then onto the cleaner.

I don't understand how such a robot would work. How would you set the time or cycle, turn it on or off, etc? My current Maytronics and my previous Aquabot both had a standard IEC (Computer) power cord that plugs into the controller, then the robot also plugs into the controller.

Proavia, Adding an outlet is not an option. I already have an outlet twelve feet from the side of the pool. that is as close as we can get. That plus a pool that is 62 feet long is where my problem lies.

You may not even need an extension. Most of the controllers will come with a 6' power cord. If the outlet is near the middle of the pool, you would only need roughly 40' of robot cable to reach either of the near corners of your pool. The additional 35' would almost certainly get you to the far corners.

Our neighbors robot (I’ll have to ask them again what brand) plugs directly into an outlet. The bot is controlled via a phone app.

Unfortunately the outlet is on the far end, not the middle. I can’t put one in the middle because the fence between mine and my neighbors yard is too close to the water for an outlet. Even if I ignored city code, I would have to tunnel electricity under a concrete pool deck to get there.

I don't know of a robot type cleaner that runs on house current. They all have a controller that has on/off controls as well as converts the household current to low voltage.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
At 62 feet long you will be better served by a commercial cleaner vs residential. Look at the commercial cleaners on the Maytronics site. The cords on those units are of ample length.

Reactions: BPKlein
I read that some of the S200‘s (or copies) have 75 foot cords from the controller. The specs say they have 60 foot cords, but some info leads me to believe that the 60 feet is 30 from the outlet to the controller and an additional 30 feet from the controller to the bot. Where can I find this info?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.