RJ-60 Cell Not Match

Jun 5, 2016
Ohio
Hello Everyone,
I opened the pool today and started my SWG RJ-60, and on the Display it says Cell Not Match. Any ideas what that means, I tried searching and came up with nothing. It's a brand new cell purchased last year, do I need to clean the cell for the first time after it being turned off for the winter?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Try cleaning it first, but it could have something to do with the power supply being mismatched for the wiring, such as being wired to a 110v circuit instead of a 220v circuit. I'll ask some others to help you figure out how to test the cell.

It's not a power issue, since it was working last summer. I tried cleaning it but it looks clean from the inside. I don't have Cap so I couldn't use muratic acid. I'll call support on Tuesday unless anyone else has any suggestions

Thanks

If it is clean don't bother cleaning it as that is not required. I believe you can scroll through the parameters and look for the cell size that the SWG thinks it has connected. Make sure this reading matches the 60 cell size.

Just in case someone has this issue in the future. I did speak to support, and they said 9 out of 10 times this procedure works. Disconnect the Control module from the power, disconnect the Cell from the Module, clean it out if it's dirty wait about a minute or so for the power to completely discharge, and plug everything back in. I unfortunately was that 10, and had to send it in for them to repair the cell.

Hope this helps someone in the future.

Just in case someone has this issue in the future. I did speak to support, and they said 9 out of 10 times this procedure works. Disconnect the Control module from the power, disconnect the Cell from the Module, clean it out if it's dirty wait about a minute or so for the power to completely discharge, and plug everything back in. I unfortunately was that 10, and had to send it in for them to repair the cell.

Hope this helps someone in the future.

Thanks for adding the information. I'm having the same issue with my RJ60.
Your instructions kinda-sorta helps, but I need some clarification about what you posted.

"...clean it out if it's dirty wait about a minute or so for the power to completely discharge..."

What are you saying here? Inspect the cell to see if it's dirty, or check the connection to see if it's dirty?

Also, after a person has disconnected the power from the module, and then you have also disconnected the cell away from the module, why does a person have to wait a minute? Are you actually meaning that once you have disconnected the power from the module, wait about a minute before you then disconnect the cell from the module?

Thanks for adding the information. I'm having the same issue with my RJ60.
Your instructions kinda-sorta helps, but I need some clarification about what you posted.

"...clean it out if it's dirty wait about a minute or so for the power to completely discharge..."

What are you saying here? Inspect the cell to see if it's dirty, or check the connection to see if it's dirty?

Also, after a person has disconnected the power from the module, and then you have also disconnected the cell away from the module, why does a person have to wait a minute? Are you actually meaning that once you have disconnected the power from the module, wait about a minute before you then disconnect the cell from the module?

Inspect the module, and the connection cables to the cell, if they are dirty, clean them, last year I left the Module outside and the connection was dirty with ants. When you disconnect the module from the power, and the cell, wait about a minute for the power to fully discharge, before plugging everything in.

Hope this helps, let me know if you need clarification on anything else.

UPDATE:
I tried cleaning both the male and female portions of the plugs with electronic contact cleaner and q-tips several times (disconnect power first), and connecting and disconnecting the plug several times to help ensure some level of contact. Unfortunately, it didn't help.

I purchased mine from Discount Salt Pool during the summer of 2016, so I contacted their tech support dept by phone. The tech said that's usually an easy fix by disconnecting the plug (disconnect power first), and using something like needle nose pliers to gently tug each male pin. The tech person said there are many times where a pin might get pushed away from it's connection. I doubted this was my case because the plug has been connected for two years without an issue, but I was willing to give a try. I actually tried it twice because there wasn't a change with my issue.

Anyway, I called Discount Salt pool back up and told them that none of the troubleshooting seemed to work. They looked up my name and saw that I had 5 years left of a 7 year warranty, so I'm currently waiting for their warranty department to call me to arrange for a replacement unit, but I don't know whether it will just be the module, or the module and generator.

Just like yourself with posting a possible dirty connecting pin(s), I wanted to post my situation. It might help someone else with a loose pin connection. If everyone adds to this post with possible solution fixes, it might help others.

Good luck, they will ask you to send back both parts back, the module and the generator, I got mine back in a few weeks and everything was working. This past winter I took the Module inside and left the salt generator. When I opened a few weeks ago, everything was working without issue. So every year I'm taking the module inside for the winter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks. I'm really hoping they will send me the parts first, and then I use the boxes to pack and send back the old parts. If they want me to send back the old parts first, I'll have to make a PVC bypass to temporarily allow my pump to continue to run and filter the water. It's the heavy pollen period here in Virginia, so I want to continue to run it. I also have a floating chlorine tablet device to also help out with keeping the pool from having issues..

I'm most likely will just leave my module out this year. I hopefully won't have to worry about it after this. I'll be selling the house and moving to Florida. LOL

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.