Reworking Plumbing

Jun 8, 2017
Sewell, NJ
I am replacing my current single speed pump with a Hayward Maxflo VSP (2303). My current pump’s intake is a little higher than the new one, so I have to rework the plumbing. I’m thinking that I should replace the ball valves with an additional 3-way valve. Does that sound like a good idea? The main drain and the skimmer each have one ball valve and both enter one port of the current 3-way valve with the spa drain entering the other port.

Below is my current setup. Any advice is appreciated as I don’t have much experience with pool plumbing.

80186ce3ddcafc378628a670c22691de.jpg

The general recommendation here is that if you have a choice between a ball valve and a 3-way, go with the 3-way. Not only are they more reliable, but in many cases you can open them up years later if needed to replace an O-ring or something. Looks like you have a decent amount of room, so take your time and good luck!

So I am going to extend the main drain and skimmer suction lines to the right side of the pump and connect them to a 3 way. Then run that line and the spa drain to another 3 way in front of the pump.

I will plug the skimmer, but do I need to worry about water coming in from the main and spa drains? My pool sits about 3-4 feet above my equipment. The main drain is in the deep end (about 8ft) and the spa drain is about 3 ft down.

If the pipes are below the pool, then water is going to drain out of the pipes from all the returns and the floor drains and the skimmer.

You may not need to worry about the return jets if you have a valve to turn off on them. But, wou will have to try to seal the floor drains and skimmers, perhaps with a large rubber mat or sheet of plastic.

Ugh, that's what I figured. Maybe a garbage bag and something to hold it down will do the trick.

Instead of running the skimmer and main drain lines to the other side of the pump, I think I'm going to use a configuration like this (3-way on the left side of the intake) to replace the ball valves. Thought?
attachment.php

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.